• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recipe for Spam or Hot Dogs?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friend o' mine used to refer to Spam as "lipsysnouts," but the meat is actual pork shoulder. It's the fat and the sodium that you have to consider ...
Still, gonna buy a can today. Doc tells me to lay off the carbs a bit.

Jethro224 said:
Anyone have a recipe/way that makes Span or Hot Dogs look and taste like tenderloin!!!!

Just one recipe that I know of to make 'em taste like tenderloin;

Buy a can of Spam or pack of hotdogs
Don't eat anything for 5 or 6 days
Eat the Spam or hotdogs
:haha:

:haha: :thumbsup:

perrybucsdad said:
Cook it in some bacon fat... better yet, wrap it in bacon and then deep fry it. Yumm!

They beat you to it. A few weeks ago I bought a can of Spam with Bacon! Truth be told I didn't notice a powerful bacon flavor to it. My next can of spam gets sliced up and put on a frozen pizza.

Dig a hole in the ground. Build a fire in the hole and let it burn down to coals . put the spam on the coals and shovel the hole shut. Go out to dinner.

For dressing up hot dogs, For a group of three or four people cooked in a big pot. Add 8 ounces of sharp cheddar cheese, two 28 ounce cans of Bush's baked beans, one tablespoon of honey and one pack of Ballpark Angus hot dogs cut up into 3/4 inch chunks. If you have any folks that enjoy a wee bit of heat add 6 drops of Habenaro pepper squeezings. This will feed up to half a dozen if they are not heavy hitters.
For myself here at home I use 1/3rd a pack of cheddar cheese, 2 diced up hot dogs and a small 16 oz can of Bush's baked beans. I also reduce the honey and pepper juice.
When I was in the Navy for four years my ship had hot dogs every damn meal! I did not eat hot dogs for 15 years after the Navy! But I can eat hot dogs like this. I have ran out of Hot dogs before an event and substituted fully cooked smoked sausage or kielbasa in place of the hot dogs. All of my rendezvous friends love this except one of them who does not like baked beans!

Yeah they used a lot of HD's at my college mess hall, and if we didn't eat them as such they ground them up for the spagetti sauce the following night. It's pretty bad when you belch and come up with HD flavor when you haven't had them for days, because you've had so many your stomach is tainted.

LD

Reads like my time in the Navy,,you could eat them today,,tomorrow or next week but you were going to eat them.Hot dog gravy over biscuits for breakfast mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I am not good with numbers, I got my formula wrong on my big pot. It is two 55 ounce cans of Bush beans for a pot that will feed have a dozen heavy hitters. While I was in the Navy they had a saying about the feeding practices of the 6th Fleet. I will use some sci-fi jargon to clean it up.
Frack em and feed em hotdogs.

What we have here is a bunch of spam haters. :grin: I take a couple of cans with me on spring fly fishing trips- in case I don't catch anything but I don't think it is very PC for muzzle loaders. A slim jim seems more like something pc. In any event SPAM just isn't that great and I don't think you can do much with it. You can get canned chicken, etc for the same price. IAE- I cut spam into slices and fry a while and then add one of those little plastic frutcups that has diced pineapple and it isn't too bad. Maple syrup actually helps.

Spam, sliced thick on bread with a slab of yellow onion and horseradish/brown mustard what's not to love!!!!!!
I found a web site that is all SPAM recipes,,just type in Spam Recipes and the world opens up,,,and your arteries close.
So people don't like Spam cause they are label readers,,,sick ,just eat.
I eat Scrapple ( never read the label) fried, with over easy eggs,real butter on home made toast and strong black coffee..

If you are in a camp with eggs, a Fritata (sic?) of eggs, diced spam, sliced jalapenos,chopped up onions, and a small can of diced tomatos- is pretty good.

Did you know that Spam has an undetermined shelf life! I have a friend that has the largest Spam collection in the world (don't ask me why). The Hormel Foods Corporation (Spam Rep.) came to his house to review the collection and confirmed it was just that. They had a film clip made about Bill and his collection, it was crazy. Spam was first introduced in 1937 to the general public but tested by the US Army for 10 years before that. Bill some where got some of those early military test cans for his collection. The funny part is Hormel Foods said "there was no known shelf life"? Now you know why I don't eat that stuff....

Well haven't tried it lately and I was real hungry when i did, but if you take some whole cloves and a small can of ring pineapple and decorate the spam like you do a ham, you can cook it like a ham till its heated thru, at least it takes the edge off a little lol

OK, I'm going to admit it, I actually LIKE Spam. But it ain't tenderloin!

For a quick, cheap, easy meal that doesn't require a cooler;

1 can of Spam, diced into small cubes
1 package of dried red beans and rice
Water

Cook following directions on package of rice and bean mix.
You can eliminate the butter, oil, or margarine if the directions say to add any because the Spam has enough grease in it.
Feeds 2-3 people for like $4.

Tenderloin...ah no. But, slice 1/4" fry both sides over med/hi till starts to darken. Three slices with eggs and rice or hash browns. This is the second best Hawaiian recipe. First is with Portuguese sausage.

Also Julienne some spam and place them over some pork flavored top ramen with green onions. We call that Saimin in Hawaii.

If you've ever made pork fried rice use spam instead. It's pretty good.

Growing up in Hawaii you appreciate Spam very much.

I also like SPAM. Cut it into whatever size chunks you like and mix it up with a can of creamed corn. Heat & eat.

ps: grand kids like it to.

Vern

Ancient One said:
I also like SPAM. Cut it into whatever size chunks you like and mix it up with a can of creamed corn. Heat & eat.

ps: grand kids like it to.

Vern

Many moons ago, mrs tac came up with a SPAM recipe that is still an occasional treat in our hut down by the river bank.

Slice up a block of SPAM into as many slices as you feel necessary, and stick 'em in a pan to fry up - slightly. At the same time, cut a few slices of WHITE bread and fry THEM up in egg, along with a few cut up onions.

Put the SPAM and the onions on top of the eggy-bread.

Eat.

Each slice has about 1800-2000cal.

Just sayin'.

We called them 'Slorkies'.

tac

PS - I can't help but notice that you guys seem to have stopped sending us those seven-pound cans of SPAM. Why's that?

I used to like spam when I was a kid camping out, for some reason it did not carry over into my rendezvous cooking. Some of these recipes sound good I may have to sneak some into my big pot!

Here's an old family spam recipe. In the days residing on our farm in the Hudson Valley, my mother would not let us go hungry. Open a can of spam, top with a pineapple rind, cover with maple syrup,bake in oven until warmed through,and presto, baked HAM. Or that's what my mothe called it. It will fill the insides,and really isn't that bad.

Back