• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Real Black Powder For Sale at Ben Avery this weekend

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I honestly do not know what the stuff cost in 2011, as the LAST TIME I bought it was 2004, or 2005. Swiss Brand Powder, and it was like $12-14 BUCKS A Pound. But it is IMHO a better, cleaner, and you use about 20% less than Goex, or the Old Elephant Brand.

Sadly in Phoenix AZ there are no places you can buy a Pound or Two of Real Black Powder, so it is shall we say a sellers market.

Also this was a a SASS EVENT, and Cowboy Shooter are not know for being cheap, and griping about prices.

They are the type of buyers who want something, many times don't grip about price, or try to bargin shop, just peel off the money, and say thank you.

BTW what is the Price of Goex in you neck of the woods?

If you can find someone who sells it in Indiana, it's going about $18 a pound now.

I live just outside Charlotte NC and buy my Goex at the Bass Pro Shop in Concord. Last month I paid 22.50 for a pound of FFG. I tried to find it at shops closer to me with no luck, either it was out of stock or they didn't carry it at all.

The joke in Phoenix during the Western Nationals is Don the Powder Man from Arkansas has some guy coming to his tent, whats a pound or two for the shoot. Don's say lets say 15 bucks a Pound for Swiss, and the reply is "IN FRIENDSHIP" its only X a pound.

In Don's defense, he has driven how many miles with a BOMB in the back of his truck, paid to be a Trader, Paid to be a Camper, Paid for Gas & Wear & Tear on his Truck & Trailer to Phoenix, and Back. Plus he is in the Retail Powder Business, meaning he does this for a living.

I would have loved to said the "in friendship folks" go back to Friendship, and get what you need, or plan better.

Plus Don have given and given to the NMLRA over the years, and even gave for a Phoenix ON Site in the Ground Magazine that never got built. Another NMLRA broken promise.

akapennypincher said:
The joke in Phoenix during the Western Nationals is Don the Powder Man from Arkansas has some guy coming to his tent, whats a pound or two for the shoot. Don's say lets say 15 bucks a Pound for Swiss, and the reply is "IN FRIENDSHIP" its only X a pound.

In Don's defense, he has driven how many miles with a BOMB in the back of his truck, paid to be a Trader, Paid to be a Camper, Paid for Gas & Wear & Tear on his Truck & Trailer to Phoenix, and Back. Plus he is in the Retail Powder Business, meaning he does this for a living.

I would have loved to said the "in friendship folks" go back to Friendship, and get what you need, or plan better.

Plus Don have given and given to the NMLRA over the years, and even gave for a Phoenix ON Site in the Ground Magazine that never got built. Another NMLRA broken promise.

Kinda silly to complain to a retailer what you paid as a club member to the NMLRA at Friendship when they probably buy hundreds of pounds at a time. I think I paid $16 a pound there last year.

I haven't bought GOEX off the shelf in quite a while since I buy through my club, but I believe it runs about $16 or so off the shelf. I pay $11. It was $10.50 early last year. I'd have to travel 2 hours north to buy from a store or nearly an hour west to Kentucky to get it. With gas prices being what they are, I guess $20 a pound would be about right, maybe even a bargain if you don't have access to a close supply like I do. Sad, seems almost like yesterday when we were paying $3 to $4 a pound and caps were .50 to .75 a tin. A buck and a half would get you a 250 count tin of German caps. :(

Sadly in Phoenix AZ there are no places you can buy a Pound or Two of Real Black Powder, so it is shall we say a sellers market.

Isn't Thunderbird Cartridge still in business? It isn't the most difficult place to get to, and you MUST call and make advance arrangements, but I have always been able to get BP there, at a very competitive price.

I will admit, I have not been there for about a year.

Tkendrick said:
Isn't Thunderbird Cartridge still in business? It isn't the most difficult place to get to, and you MUST call and make advance arrangements, but I have always been able to get BP there, at a very competitive price.

I will admit, I have not been there for about a year.

The only place on Thunderbird was Annette's Powder Keg, and he went under a while back. The reason he qut selling Real black powder was city of Phoenix Fire Code said NO BP SALES.

I have heard of Thunderbird Cartridge in Leveen (County Area), and the two time I called them the phone rang, and rang with no answer so I do not know if the are in business.

Thunderbird Cartridge is located in Laveen, Arizona and the last I heard they were still selling black powder. They did ask that folks call ahead so they could get the powder out of the storage box.

Thunderbird Cartridge Co.
7215 W Southern Ave
Laveen, AZ 85339

(602) 237-3823

Zonie said:
Thunderbird Cartridge is located in Laveen, Arizona and the last I heard they were still selling black powder. They did ask that folks call ahead so they could get the powder out of the storage box.

Thunderbird Cartridge Co.
7215 W Southern Ave
Laveen, AZ 85339

(602) 237-3823
My personal experience with them is bad, called three time, and they don't answer the phone. All different time of there day, not a god way to run a business JMHO.

Back