• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ready to go huntin'

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liam_g

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I hit the range this morning for one of my last sessions before the elk hunt (season opens next Saturday, 10/07). Spent the whole time at the 50 yard range. I would have liked to shoot some at the 100, but it was full with a waiting list!

I had a great time at the 50 yard range though. I've settled on a load for the hunt: 80 grains Pyrodex RS under a 430gr TC MaxiBall. The sights really do seem to be set up for conicals, rather than round balls. I finally got round balls shooting near center target at 50 yards, but I had to put the open rear sight all the way to its lowest setting. The Lyman 57 peep just can't get prb's on target ... still about 7" high at 50 yards at the lowest elevation. I got excited last time, because I was able to get the groups to around 3 or 4 inches high at 25 yards, but the 50 yard groups are still just amazingly high. Conicals are working great though. I might try 90 grains again (the Lyman recommended max load) to see how it shoots, but I was very happy with the groups and the level of recoil with the 80 grain load:
deerstalker_tgt_10012006.jpg

I'm really happy with shooting under 1" at 50 yards! According to the Lyman handbook, the 80gr load should be giving me 1280fps at the muzzle, for 1565 fpe. At 100 yards, it's still going 1042 fps, for 1037 fpe. The 90 grain load only gains 52 more fps at the muzzle, so I will likely just stick with 80 gr. And beyond the energy figures, I imagine that this bullet is going to penetrate like crazy.

I also shot some using a walking stick for a forend rest, which I'll be carrying on the hunt. I was able to shoot within around 3" at 50 yards using that setup. I have one more range session, possibly two, and will concentrate on shooting with the walking stick and some offhand shots using the sling. I think I've found my load, though. ;)

Regards,
Liam

You ain't kiddin' that it's gonna penetrate like crazy. It'll prolly be a shoot through. If you do your part, you'll be enjoyin' elk steaks soon! Looks like the gun is doing it's part very well indeed! Good luck on your hunt and have fun. :)

A 430 Grain slug is going to go through an Elk like a freight car. You are shooting a .54-80-430 grain load, which is comparable to a .50-70 400 grain load in a cartridge gun. Notice how little velocity is lost over that 100 yd. distance. The slug has gone through the sound barrier, so if you can get 100 yd. accuracy of about 3 inches, you are not going to have any problem hitting and killing an elk. Stick with the 80 grain load. It would be a very rare event if the Maximum load for any caliber would shoot the best groups.

Good Hunting

Had my last range visit before the hunt today. Shot at the 50 and 100 yard ranges. Here's a target, 10 shots from the bench at 50 yards. Load was the same as above, 80 gr Pyrodex RS under a 430gr MaxiBall:
deerstalker_tgt_10052006.jpg

The same load shoots about 4 inches low at 100 yards. I'm thinking it's likely dead on at somewhere between 70 and 80 yards. I'd like to get 75 yards or closer, but I know where it hits at 100, and by holding over I was able to get good hits at that distance today, and groups in the 3 to 4 inch range.

I'm heading out Friday around 2 or 3pm, and will be in Forks, WA, about 3 hours later. Will be in the woods by 6:30am Saturday morning!!!

Thanks for all the help and advice, guys!!!

Liam

Liam,
Pity the Elk in them there woods.
Good Luck!
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

Back