• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RE: Allen & Thurber repro by Mowrey of Olney, Texas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hiddeninsmoke

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have a very low serial numbered, pre-bicential (unmarked for bicentential) Allen & Thurber by Mowery. It is a Plains model, 32 Inch barrel, 1 inch across the flats, 1 in 30 twist, in .45 caliber. It has both a brass frame and forearm. The barrel is blued. Although I have searched online for hours, I have been unable to find anything at all about a like .45 caliber Plains rifle. The only .45's I've found are in the "Squirrel" model which have a shorter barrel which are 13/16 of an inch wide. There is no mention of such a rifle in Mowrey's literature in either fully assembled or in kit form.

Is anyone aware of another rifle matching this one? Or do I seem to have a one and only?
Rifle3.JPG

Attachments

• Rifle1.JPG
    Rifle1.JPG
    271.6 KB · Views: 23
I have a very low serial numbered, pre-bicential (unmarked for bicentential) Allen & Thurber by Mowery. It is a Plains model, 32 Inch barrel, 1 inch across the flats, 1 in 30 twist, in .45 caliber. It has both a brass frame and forearm. The barrel is blued. Although I have searched online for hours, I have been unable to find anything at all about a like .45 caliber Plains rifle. The only .45's I've found are in the "Squirrel" model which have a shorter barrel which are 13/16 of an inch wide. There is no mention of such a rifle in Mowrey's literature in either fully assembled or in kit form.

Is anyone aware of another rifle matching this one? Or do I seem to have a one and only?View attachment 107023
I don’t think you have a “one and only”. I think the bicentennial version was something that came out of Olney, Texas only and not something that Hopkins & Allen distributed. I’ve seen a few come up for sale over the years, saw most of them on Guns International.

Nice looking example you have there. I love the buttplate!

Back