• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range Report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ken.clements

40 Cal.
Reaction score
First rifle today:
a Muskatoon .58...this little friend I believe is related to a computer and has a password. Every time I try to find a load its like he says ”žPassword wrong, please try again“
I started with Layman 575213 OS and 35 grains FFFg (going up to 55 grains), three to five shots benchrest, wiping between strings. Lube was 50/50 beeswax/vege oil (all I had at home at the time).
Well, the best results were frustrating. 11 o’clock, 12 inches high (I realize sights are for 100 yards, I adjusted my sight pictur for this = 5 inches below target...the same as other .58 rifles I have), 5 inch group (three cloverleaf at 1,5 inch, two at 4 inches above the cloveleaf to the right).
Going to try a different Minie next time. Going to keep plugging at it.
But first I have to have the rifle looked at......I believe there is a failure in the metal where the nipple sits, the nipple sits in the rifle wrong (higher on one side) and when I unscrew it there is a piece of thread missing.

I'm usually quite patient, but this is the second Rifle I've picked up where I have to really work work to get a load going.
It has Buckhorn sights. It is a type of sight with the rifle length thats just begging to "X" all day long, but that was sadly not the story.
As this was the second rifle I was shooting today I had with me 35-60 Grains FFFg.
To make a fustrating story short, here are the best end results.....a 3 inch group at 50 meters PRB, 5 o’clock 6 inches down. This is with a sight picture with the Blade down inside of the notch...which is a bugger.
So, either I’m to stupid to use Buckhorn sights (which is probably the case) or the load is much to much. The gentleman shooting next to me had a Hawken and was shooting PRB with 28 Grain....he didn’t have a problem.
So whats going on....should I change my hobby to artillery?
I am going back to the range and starting with 25 grain FFFg (just target shooting). The left drift I can correct with the blade. How do I fix the problem with the Buckhorn....or better said am I using this thing correctly?

There will be some people along that will have more ideas but to me the buckhorn sight is not the most desirable sight to use for target shooting. For my 60+ year old eyes it is difficult to get a good sight picture with the narrow front blade and shallow V rear notch. Something that would help is a description of the rifle, bore size, twist, and manufacturer. What size ball are you using, patch thickness, lube? Give us some more information I'm sure that it can be made to shoot better.

You have probably been told this before. Make sure your minies are no more than .002 inch smaller than the bore of your gun. Make sure they are made from pure lead. NSSA guys that shoot these guns usually use a load around 45 grains of 3f and weigh the bullets for consistancy. I believe they weigh there powder charges also.

Some of the Italian muskets will have bores in the .580 range and a minie will have to be matched to the bore. I'll bet that musketoon if its anything like mine will shoot a round ball very accurately..................Good luck......Bob

take a look at my topic What?...ther's my muskatoon :redface:

The muskatoon is pretty much a dust collector now untill I find out whats going on with the producer of the rifle...
the question of the .45 long rifle and the buckhorn sights is for me relevant.

Ok I get it now. My bad on the misunderstanding. I see there was a second rifle which is a longrifle in .45 caliber using a patched round ball and buckhorn sights.

You retrieved your patches and they look alright? Not burned through?

The buckhorn sight, does it have a "V" notch or a "U" notch? With either you must have a good way of holding elevation consistantly. In other words you must have a reference point on the rear sight such as the top of the "V" to hold the front sight level with. Since you had to hold the sight deep down in the "V" or what us old timers used to call "Holding a fine bead" it is very hard to index your elevation consitantly.

If sighting may be a problem I would suggest holding a normal hold such as the top of the front sight level with the top of the "V" and forget about Point of Impact until I have my accurate load and then if it is shooting high replace the front sight with a higher one.

Good luck.............Bob

I agree with leatherbark, work on your load development first don't worry about poi until you have a good load for your rifle. Trying to tweak a load and adjust your sights at the same time is just asking for something to go wrong........................watch yer top knot.................

Back