• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range report Pedersoli Kentucky

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapow

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Second day out with the Pedersoli today shooting at 50 metres. With a steady hold off a bench rest to test accuracy I was putting them all in the bull which is about 1-2 inch circle. The guys next to me with their caplocks were pretty impressed with the rifle too. I fired about 10 - 12 shots all up and had zero fail to fires.

After my last post, as suggested, I put a piece of leather thong under the back edge of the flint to angle it down more and notice that there are proper scrape marks on the frizzen so it is hitting and sparking much better. I had zero fail to fires and it was firing much like my percussion rifles as far as speed goes.

The next port of call might be to lighten the trigger somehow as it is a heavy pull to set it off. I now have a very accurate lightweight and traditional style rifle to hunt with and shoot targets comfortably all day. My meat and potatoes gun. Worth waiting for!

Way to go! Sometimes it's just a few minor adjustments that can make all the difference. Congratulations! :thumbsup:

Good one, cobber! :applause:

So, what powder are you using, and how much? What are you using to prime (and how much)? Are you wiping the flint between shots? Wiping the bore between shots?

You know, all the little details that we like to know. :grin:

I am using 75gn FFFg Wano for main and prime with a Speer 0.495 roundball and 0.018 patch with Wonderlube. I am guessing it is a generous bore because it is relatively easy to load. Glad I ordered the 0.495 mould! The flint today was a French flint from TOTW. I am still experimenting with flints but am interested in these German cut Agate flints I have read of.

I have been wiping the bore with a patch sprayed with alcohol (one spray for the rifle, one for my tongue! :haha: ) The only other thing I am wiping is the grin off my face each time it goes bang! I must admit that I am pretty green and on a steep learning curve but loving every minute of it.

This site is a bonanza of info. For example I drilled out the touch hole to 1/16" which I believe was instrumental in its reliability. Also after reading BillnPatti's (strange name for a bloke?? ) :wink: post I used the frizzen to knap the flint when I got home - worked a treat.

I had a guy shooting next to me with a Lyman GPR caplock who was having all sorts of grief because he forgot to clean his rifle properly so was able to help him out and probably made a new friend in the process. All in all a very satisfying day, especially patching up that shot out bullseye!

Save your money on the sawn flints. I thought the same thing once and found that they are twice the price and last half as long. I haven't noticed much difference between the French amber or the English grey flints other than appearance.

When I was shooting flinters I experimented with the various types of flints, too. I had mediocre to poor results with the sawn flints, and couldn't tell much difference between the French amber and good ol' English black. Your results may vary, of course, but I wouldn't get too heavily invested in the sawn flints.

No I as referring to the special ones sold in Germany mentioned in a recent thread. How many shots should I get before having to knap the edge and how many times before the flint is finished? Roughly on average for the English ones?

That depends on so many variables that I really can't give you a specific number. Suffice it to say that you can refresh the edge on an English knapped flint (or a French amber), and you can't easily refresh a sawn flint. I'm not familiar with the German sawn flints, but I can't imagine they would be much different from what has been on the market before.

I've tried the German ones, good sparks when new but dulls fast and you can't just knap it like a flint. Waste of money. I prefer English flints.

Congrats on the Kentucky. Mine also has very fast ignition, noticeably faster than my T/C (but I'm still experimenting with that), and it's likewise very accurate. It's my favorite rifle. My Pedersoli Kentucky pistol is just as fast as it's big brother rifle.

G'day Kapow, yep, I'm also on a steep learning curve. I'm fortunate in that the people in my club are very knowledgeable about BP and helpful, but at the end of the day it's a matter of me trying to figure out what works for my particular gun.

I'm also using Wano 3f, 70 gns, .490 ball (but I should have my .495 mold soon) and I have some English flints (but I'm also trying some home-made flints that I sort of knapped. They don't look pretty, but they work!).

I haven't drilled out the touch-hole liner yet, but I've been thinking that it may be a good idea, what with this blasted Pedersoli patent breech!

Definitely puts a grin on the face every time it fires :grin: .

Jumpshot said:
I've tried the German ones, good sparks when new but dulls fast and you can't just knap it like a flint. Waste of money. I prefer English flints.
My experience with cut flints other than Herr Sifter's was that sharpening them with a diamond lap was slower than knapping by any of several techniques, but not really onerous. That said, I have not bothered with cut flints since, although I am curious about the difference between his flints and the various North American ones that I have tried.

Regards,
Joel

tac said:
Kapow said:
Also after reading BillnPatti's (strange name for a bloke?? )

Bill AND Patti are a team.

Like...

...a big payoff and high taxes.

...strawberries and white mold.

...a fine cigar and constricted blood vessels.

...race horses and stables.

I have a Ky flinter just like yours & have very little trouble with it at all.
Great gun”¦”¦”¦..see ya yardhunter

Back