• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range Report: Colt Walker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the report.....I told ya it worked!
On my Walker I smear it on thick...and dont wipe off the excess,,,,I could shoot all day if needed.

PaulTheWall said:
Zonie said:
All of those grooves on the cylinder arbor were put there by Colt to hold grease.
The intent was that the grease would keep the fouling out of the bearing area so the cylinder wouldn't lock up.

IMO, while Balistol may be good for something, filling grease grooves is not one of the things it does well.

Well, I had to go to the auto parts store today to replace a windshield wiper and picked up some anti-seize grease.

I went home and put some on the arbor of my Walker -- the stuff is like grey toothpaste. I worked a little into the grooves and some on the whole pin, put the cylinder back in and wiped off the excess.

Now I have a good excuse to get back out to range over the next couple of days!!

Will report back.

Thanks for all the helpful tips. :thumbsup:

Well, if it still siezes up, try using a bar of Ivory bath soap. Rub it up and down the cylinder pin, work some into the grooves as well. I know it sounds crazy, but try it and see. Also, measure the cylinder barrel gap, it may need to be tightened up.

CP

I've often wondered if Colt's intent was for the spiral groves to feed lubricant to the front cylinder bearing band. The cylinder rides on a front and rear band and the groves are considerably under cylinder bore diameter. The rear band is pretty well protected from fouling but the front isn't. Thoughts anyone?

the groves are for grease, as the grease is melted it is suposed to run towards the recoil sheild, the bare groves are then aplace for fowling to settle rather than binding on the cyc face. a similar design and theory was used on combustionengines cyc head valve guides in the 1980s&90s.of note the solid frame on the saa came from the colt roots revolver not rem or r&s.

That is going to require some expanation. Why would you want melted grease to flow to the recoil shield? How does fouling from the face of the cylinder migrate to the grooves on the arbor once all the grease is melted? :idunno:

I use a sloppy mix of olive oil, crisco, and beeswax.

I use a harder mix to lube over-powder wads, and, as a pan lube for bullets.

towards the recoil shield. the idea is to try to keep fouling away from the cyc face,& stop binding,the fouling builds up in the outer couple of rings ,acts as a rough seal & as a lube(but not for long).it may be hard to believe but the theory was to let the shooter get more shots off before a strip & clean was needed,as i said this design was is used on cyc head vlv guides & also in a slightly different bent in modern mil . weapons with carbon build up in gass systems.please before any one goes off halfcocked i am talking about a design theory not physicaly same or similar parts.

Back