• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RANGE REPORT: .40cal ML with hard rubber 'LEO' practice balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
03/15/08 - Range Report
.40cal Flintlock using hard rubber ”˜LEO’ practice balls to see how they’d perform as a possible lead ball substitute if lead became very expensive, unavailable, banned, etc.

ӢThese hard rubber balls are a perfect match for a .40cal muzzleloader...not pretty close to perfect, not close enough to perfect...they are a perfect match for a .40cal rifle!

”¢The balls only weigh 15 grains and are made of what I call “dead” rubber...no bounce, very safe.

”¢They’re listed as .43cal but mic .410” and are very consistent in diameter.

”¢Can almost thumb start them with a .015” patch in my GM .40cal but not quite...they compress enough and start fine with a short starter and are a good snug fit, seat down like a regular PRB.

ӢTested with 30grns Goex 3F at 25yds, sitting in a chair with my off elbow braced down on my side...very accurate and consistent...target has 50 shots through it.

Also, somebody had left a couple 1/4 empty 16oz bottles of mountain dew at the range, so I set them up at 25yds, and the balls went through the front plastic walls, through the liquid, and made outward projecting star-bursts of plastic on the back side walls but evidently didn’t have quite enough ”˜oomph’ to get on through and the balls stayed inside the bottles so I was able to retrieve them both”¦they are in the photo...still in just as pristine a condition as brand new in spite of having been fired and punching through a bottle of liquid.

At only 15grns and made of no-bounce dead rubber, these are outstanding for close range practice at a range, in your back yard, etc...and could easily be captured in a home made or commercial bullet trap like those made for .22cals...and based on the lack of any signs these two had been fired from a rifle and gone through drink bottles, my assumption is that they could be reused virtually indefinitely.

Website for the hard rubber balls...scroll down mid way....bags of .68cal & .43cal sizes shown.
http://ecom.udomain.com.hk/product.php?clientID=229&langID=1&productCatID=1874

40calRtSiderubberballscropped.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that's cool. :thumbsup: Gonna have to order me some of those. Hey wait.....I don't have a .40 calibre.

Hmmmmm, :hmm: honest darlin, I have to get another rifle in order to use all this ammo.

Hmmmm, interesting. I wonder what effect one of those rubber balls would on a squirrel at 30-40 yards?

Rubber bullets might be the ticket for small game hunting in smallish woodlots bordered by housing developments. Or, in areas where lead is banned.

Very interesting.

J.D. said:
Hmmmm, interesting. I wonder what effect one of those rubber balls would on a squirrel at 30-40 yards?

Rubber bullets might be the ticket for small game hunting in smallish woodlots bordered by housing developments. Or, in areas where lead is banned.

Very interesting.
Well, if it'll nearly get a pass through on a 16oz plastic drink bottle and all that liquid, it should be great for squirrels...should kill them outright with a head shot...but it may not penetrate if it's a grazing shot so before you put him in your game vest, I'd thump his head agains a tree truck a couple times real hard to be sure he isn't just stunned. :grin:
The good news is that there'll be no worry about taking shots up into trees...as light as they are they won't travel far at all.

The powder charge can always be bumped up of course...next time I try them I'm going to see what kind of accuracy there is at 50yds, and may find I'll have to bump up to keep a full head of steam on them for that distance as light as they are.

Roundball, I agree there's nothing more disconcerting than a stunned squirrel coming to in your game pocket...Hank

hank said:
Roundball, I agree there's nothing more disconcerting than a stunned squirrel coming to in your game pocket...Hank

Never had that happen, but one came to life shortly after I picked it up by its tail. It was trying to get to my leg and I was trying to get rid of it, but was afraid of what might happen if I didn't throw it far enough...or what might happen if it came too close to my body before I could get rid of it. I'm glad there were no witnesses. I would have never lived it down. :haha:

They want 55 bucks shipping when I placed an order for uno bag of 500. Sure would like to try them, where'd you buy your?

Rusty

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Roundball very nice report. Now that's creative. I'm wondering how those resin balls might work. I'll have to see if we have some training one.

As light as they are your could really put a lot in there...since the rubber wedging / rubbing against a bare bore might not be as slippery as lead, I wonder if there's any chance they could wedge up and become a barrel obstruction...paper shot cup should solve that though

:hmm: That gives me some incentive now to do something with that .40 cal smoothbore I've got sitting around my shop...

Only Round said:
:hmm: That gives me some incentive now to do something with that .40 cal smoothbore I've got sitting around my shop...
Bet they'll work great!

If you have a mould try (Hot Glue/Balls) they use these in hand gun and they work :grin:.

Back