• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrods yet again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TOTW is short for Track of the Wolf, a muzzleloading supply company you can find by checking the links section on this site. Ramin is a tropical wood used in many applications including wooden blinds, according to my google search. It is not as strong a wood as Hickory grown in America is, and therefore does not last as long. It may be a little cheaper, but in the long run, it will cost you much more.

Look for a good, straight grained hickory rod for your .45. Check with the suppliers on the Links here who sell hickory rods. You can call them and aske about the quality etc. they guarantee. Or, go to an organized Muzzle loading shooting event, where commercial dealers will have quantities of hickory rods available for you to inspect. The Spring Shoot at Friendship, Indiana is coming up in June, and if you are new to this, you should join the NMLRA, and make the trip. It will be worth it, just for the education, if not for all the goodies you will find to buy. Its an 8 day even, starting on a Saturday, and finishing on the following Sunday, the second through third weekend in June. The mail order businesses stay in business by taking care of customers. I would not worry too much about buying a hickory rod through the mail. Buy the fittings, also, and put them on yourself. Its a small project, but you will feel much better about trusting the rod when you have shaped, glued and pinned the ferrel on yourself, and made your own handle.

Thanx PV, I've already joined the NMLRA but I have yet to make the Friendship run, one of these days I shall. I'll look at TOTW and thanks again for the info. I am going to attend the spring shoot here at The Old Saratoga Muzzleloader Club and I'll be checking the vendors closely this year

Legion
As you know Hickory was the most common wood for rods in American rifles and iron or steel for military muskets.
As for other things being used, Wallace Gusler had French gun at Friendship last year that had a ramrod made of Baleen which is a sort of whale bone, but that is the first time I have heard of Baleen being used for ramrods.
Hope this helps.

Regards, Dave

I do not know if dogwood would make a good ramrod, but it makes a great wooden mallet because it holds together well.

I use hickory rods which I have obtained from Matt and Toni at Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading and also from Jack Garner at Tennessee Valley Manufacturing. Both sources are on the links forum. I have only broken one ramrod ever and that was when I was showing off and bent it too far. :redface:

CS

dogwoods' tough stuff..twisty though...I made a couple of walking stick from dogwoods and I couldn't believe how hard they got when they dried out

just thought i would add a small reminder that at the spring shoot in friendship i will again be doing a "ramrods from scratch" workshop on sunday morning on the primitive side of the road. come join us and make a truly straight-grained rod of your own(we use shagbark or pignut hickory).

take care, daniel

You might do a Mike Brooks style tutorial for those of us a thousand miles away. :grin:

CS

djnye said:
just thought i would add a small reminder that at the spring shoot in friendship i will again be doing a "ramrods from scratch" workshop on sunday morning on the primitive side of the road. come join us and make a truly straight-grained rod of your own(we use shagbark or pignut hickory).

take care, daniel
What are some other good flexible woods that could make a good ramrod?

crowhop,

i wrote a small description of the process a while back under the topic thread in the builders forum called "ramrods over 48" on 1-05-06 and is post #216209. sorry i am not better at this data management thing and can't make it appear here(like some of you smart guys can.)

crackshot,

ash is sometimes used. actually, sugar maple and yellow birch have very good specs also. ironwood(american hophornbeam) and locust also have wonderful specs, but are either very hard to work or not usually found in useable straight sections. shagbark hickory, overall, keeps coming to the top as the best all around. those folks doing woodcraft were some pretty smart guys.

take care, daniel

I've used split ash for a pistol ramrod. Seems just as strong as hickory, and it looks a lot like it, but I'm a little suspicious of it over the long haul because it's lighter than hickory.

Latest posts

Back