• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrods yet again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legionair

40 Cal.
Reaction score
All this ramrod talk has got me thinking.

I've seen the steel or iron rods that were supplied with military muskets.

And old Hawkens appear to have been constructed with hickory.

So my question is this... what was the common material for ramrod construction?

What has been verified as used but not common (I.E. steel, iron, brass, gold, etc)??

Was there an "after market" for ramrods in the "olden" days???

Legion

Most original wiping sticks were made of hand split hickory, not the saw cut things we buy today.If I aqquire a new rod , I'll soak it in coal oil ( kerosene) for 2-3 months, add the ends, pin them and voila. I haven't broke a ramrod in a coons age.But, I do use a stainless rod for range work.
Rebelyell :hatsoff:

My ramrod is a common dowel from Ace Hardware. It is 7/16" at the muzzle end, and tapers to 5/16". I have been using it for 2 1/2 years now with no problems. I was very careful in picking it out. As straight grained as I could find in the bunch, and I gave it a good flex test when no one was watching. I use it for range, cleaning, and hunting. Hickory is the best,however.

Anybody know what type wood the TOW unfinished ramrod is? They call it a "ramin". All the wooden ones with brass tips they say are hickory..

Most of the Military guns were equiped with metal ramrods for obvious reasons.
I would guess cost drove most civilian guns towards using a cheap natural material like wood.

I've heard a number of people say they had poor luck with Ramin and with regular dowels bought at hardware stores.
In fact, Wick's comments above is the first time I've ever heard anyone say they had good luck with a regular dowel. :hmm:

Were the brass rods used in the late 18th and early 19th century?

Or are they a more modern, vanity kinda' thing?

Legion

I stepped on and broke the ramrod for a cap and ball Kentucky pistol, cal. .45. Replaced it with a dowel from a hobby shop. Works fine in a pistol, but I'd be reluctant to try it with a rifle. graybeard

I buy all my rods from TOTW which are made of Ramin and I've yet to break a single one. So I guess I can say I've had very good luck with them.

I guess what I'm getting at is....

Were there other materials commonly used other than iron/steel or hickory in the 18th - 19th century?

I doubt they had "RAMIN", but perhaps I'm wrong. :youcrazy: :haha:

Legion

What about a small sapling?Some arrows were made from these and are strong.Somebody mentioned split hickory,when you split wood it goes along the grain and is stonger.So why wouldnt a sapling work?

Ramin is a wood from Europe. I'm sure it's been around for quit some time. I buy it because the price is right and as I previously stated, I have yet to break one. To my understanding Orange wood also makes for a descent ramrod. I do believe that orange wood has been around since Biblical days!

Someyday I'm going to get around to trying dogwood. I've made arrows out of it. It was a preferred wood for that purpose hereabouts. The shoots are almost long enough. Took me a while to gather 32" ones. A 44" may be impossible, vbut there's always the main tree. They naurally taper from 7/16" to about 5/16" after you strip the bark.

Dogwood does not split when dry.

Ramin arrows have a very short life in my use. The stresses are different for a rammmer, but the arrows always break right at the shoulder of the point; usually the first time they meet a stump.

Dogwood.... the ones with the white flowers?

If I'm remembering right, I think they're protected.....

Might want to double check my suspicions.... wouldn't want to read about ya' gettin' cited by the DEC....

Legion

i think saplings would twist really bad when they dry and maybe split. i use saplings for measuring poles when i log and they twist after a few months being they are from the the whole tree a dowel comes from 1 side of the tree more stable.

curly maple

Legion said:
Dogwood.... the ones with the white flowers?

Yea, and it's bark is worse than it's bite... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Dogwood also blooms in red, pink and white flowers depending on the genus of the species...

I'm kinda new to all this and don't know what TOTW is or Ramin for that matter. I absolutely love my solid brass range rod but it's fits my 50 cals rifles only it does not fit my 45 Kentucky because of diameter and length. I bought a fiber rod from Deer Creek. I've been shopping for a decent wood dowel and have been unable to find one. I gotta looks some more. Most of what I've seen doesn't look that great

Latest posts

Back