• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod will not go back into place and is sticking out beyond front of barrel. Help!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For starters watch some yt viddys on
How to install barrel tenions.
This should educate you on pins ect.
Then carefully remove barrel useing correct punch and hammer. Or find someone who can.( dont wrek yer gun)😛

Most of the long rifles I've seen from either CVA or Traditions do not have the Retainer Spring that the half stocks do.

A recently acquired CVA Pennsylvania rifle had the same problem with a replacement synthetic ramrod. I bought a wooden one and it wouldn't go in all the way either. I had to taper the back end and removed some metal from the middle of the front screw. Actually, I removed the metal first then realized I had to taper the rod, also. I suppose you could try just tapering the rod first.

I don't remember ever having to do that before. I still don't understand why I had to on a factory gun!

The only reason I thought of that as a fix was my Chamber’s Issac Haines is set up that way. While working on the Pennsylvania, removing the barrel made it easier to see how much wood I had to take off the rod.

I’ll try and post some photos later today.

Walt

As I recvall that happend to me with my CVA. The ramrod retaining spring had flipped. flipped, it blocked the hannel so the rod wouldn't go all the way through.
But as I recall the barrel was fairly easy to remove. Then i flipped the spring back, checked it with the rod, reassembled, good to go.

It's been some years ... fun first muzzle loading rifle, but the breech plug leaked after about 20 years and my gunsdmith said CBA breechplugs have a spike that's too likely to break when unscrewing, wouldn't work on it.

Back