• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod launch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A very long time ago, back in early '80s, I got a rod stuck so hard that I decided to just shoot it. It was a wood range rod ,and it disintegrated into splinters in mid flight.
Wiped the bore clean , and kept shooting as if nothing happened. No one around made anything out of it when I told them I was going to just shoot it out of the gun.
I try to keep the bore somewhat clean while shooting ever since.

Your barrel will be fine, our club was marching in a parade in down town Sonora and you guess it, someone shot their ramrod out over the crowd, where it landed who knows. New club rule, no ramrods in parades, just shoot loose powder.

Sad to relate that it was precisely this kind of escapade that has cost re-enactors in the Republic of Ireland just about everything. It only happened the one time, but the PTB decided that it was just too dangerous to allow re-enactors to actually shoot with powder and prohibited them from doing it again. Not that there were that many re-enactors in the fust place. Now there's just about none, and none at all with any kind of a firearm due to their rather odd take on the 1875 Explosives Act - it's STILL in force.

Sad to relate that it was precisely this kind of escapade that has cost re-enactors in the Republic of Ireland just about everything. It only happened the one time, but the PTB decided that it was just too dangerous to allow re-enactors to actually shoot with powder and prohibited them from doing it again. Not that there were that many re-enactors in the fust place. Now there's just about none, and none at all with any kind of a firearm due to their rather odd take on the 1875 Explosives Act - it's STILL in force.

Yes government always goes over board, but its OK to run around with sword's and axe's, go figure

Governments only exist to limit your rights and tax. Never forget that.

Saw a guy shoot his ramrod out of a Enfield once. We found it and it shaped just like a corkscrew. Still hangs on his shop wall and is quite a conversation piece.

I think your checking the barrel for a wide spot or bulge in the bore is about all you need to check out.

I have never fired a ram rod but in my year of coaching I witnessed enough flying ram rods to worry about my own. When I made my steel ramrods for use at the range I always put an antique door knob on the end as a comfortable handle which was big enough to lock my view when aiming to let me know the Ram rod was still in the bore..

Knowing my weak pints was one of my strong strong points..

Never under estimate you own ability to be distracted and momentarily forgetful.

Dr5x

During a moment of distraction I shot my Ramrod.
Wont do that again, jaw is still feeling it. .54, 90 g FFF, 42 inch barrel and hickory rod
I took a micrometer to check for bulges on the barrel as well I ran a tight patch down the barrel. My question, Is there anything else I should be looking at to make sure I have no damage?

Thanks for reading.

Been there, done that....bought the ramrod. (glad I'm not the only one)

The last weekend before muzzleloading season, 2006, I managed to cram in a trip to the range. Immediately after firing, I noticed the range officer standing beside me, and he told me that I'd just launched my ramrod. He couldn't get to my position before I fired. Red-faced, I packed up my gear and awaited the next cease fire.

At the cease fire, I went downrange, hoping I was lucky enough to find an undamaged ramrod.

What I found was a 14" piece from the threaded end of the rod, stuck into the bank, about 8 feet above the target. It was pretty much directly behind the target, so at least my windage was good. My previous shots (with lead conical bullets) were in a 3" group at 100 yds.

It reminded me of a scene in 'Across the Wide Missouri' with Clark Gable and Ricardo Montalban.

Back