• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rabbits in the Garden

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heelerau

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Gents have been having a war with these critters at the behest of the war office, finished up with 7 of them in the freezer. Made a Greek stifado out of 3 of them, was a lovely way of eating rabbit. The rifle was gifted to me with a couple of others by a late mate of mine that I had known since the age of 14. I replaced the Russ Hamm lock with a RPL tuned by a chap in Minnesota before having it send down under. The rifle was made in the 1960s by whom no idea. It has a .36 straight Douglas barrel and the trigger only works on the set. I shot a number of these chaps from the back stoop whilst sitting in my rocking chair. The other rifle is one built by Neil bFields, I shot that rabbit at about 80 yards in the horse paddock from the front stoop of the cottage.

Sounds like nice rifles and great shooting. Glad they don't go to waste. After tilling our garden, the first tracks in it are deer. Deer and rabbit compete after things sprout! :cursing:

Not a lucky as you blokes, with deer, turkey hogs and game birds. We do have deer and hogs but they are not so plentiful and hard to get to, so rabbits it is and the odd pesky crow. The Greek stifado is great way of doing rabbit, just melts in your mouth, and great with a good bottle of red.

Cheers

Heeler

colorado clyde said:
I'm so overrun with rabbits this year, I'm about ready to hunker down and call in an air strike..... :haha:
You and me both, Clyde. Except discharging fire arms within city limits, where I live, is illegal. I have thought about archery or maybe a blow gun :haha:

That's a beautiful rifle. You are quite fortunate to have known such a generous person as the man from whom you got your rifle. That is quite a garden, too, producing both vegetables and meat. Way to go mate! :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing the photos and story. :hatsoff:

We have cotton tails (resembling your bunnys) and jacks. The jacks have hind legs maybe twice the length of cotton tails. I've never et a jack.

On my place there is a jack who plays with the dog. He leads him around in a large circle till the dog quits. Unfortunately the wife doesn't allow deadly force here.

Great story and photos. I have a pesky squirrel that has stripped my apricot tree clean... again. I thought I took care of the problem two years ago. I'll have to get out my pellet rifle. Neighbors get a little jumpy when there are loud noises.

Mate we have hares which resemble your Jacks, I took crack at one when staying at a gunsmith mates cabin near Vernal some years ago. I guess you have hares as well in the US. I gather you can starve to death eating jackrabbits, or so I read somewheres.

cheers

Gordon

You're lookin' good there, Mate! :hatsoff:

Haven't had anything to report since our last PT. Hope to change that, shortly. Haven't forgotten ye.

Richard/Grumpa

Bill pretty close,although you should be able to find it under rabbit stifado. Main thing is to soak the rabbits in brine over night to get rid of the bitterness. .

cheers

Gordon

Look forward to hearing from you Grumpa !!

My father would marinate rabbit overnight in white wine then braise with rosemary, onions and mushrooms. The braised rabbit was served over Polenta.

Back