• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Quite possibly the worst movie of all time

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tommy Bruce said:
Mike2005 said:
I'm usually a fan of anything with Brian Keith in it. I can't remember seeing him in very many klunkers. Friends of mine met him when they were filming "The Mountain Men" and said he was hoot to be around.

I was part of the crowd in "The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid." Noththfield, Minnesota was actually Ashland, Oregon with the streets covered with dirt.

I'll generally agree with you Mike, but I saw one the other night "Alamo 13 days to Glory" that just sucked out loud. Brian Keith's character in "The Mountain Men" was one of my all time favorites.

I forgot about that one. It was your basic "Made for TV" klunker. I remember when it was run on the nextworks. Him, James Arness and Raul Julia probably do not see it as their finest work. Even the new "The Alamo" with Billy Bob Thornton as Davy Crockett afraid of his flintlock was better.

It wasn't all Hollywood messin up about the Souix. Did you know there is an actual book. Back around 1988 or 1989, at a rendevous, my ex wife traded for a copy of the book. some of that can be blamed on the author.

nw_hunter said:
Russ T Frizzen said:
For me, the biggest problem with "Dances with Wolves" is the idea that by the time of the Civil War there were Sioux who didn't know about white men and guns. Yet both had been around for quite some time in the persons of traders, trappers, men headed for the California gold fields, the folks headed west during the Great Migration, and the soldiers sent there to protect the trails and the people on them. Hollywood...

Sure it's Hollywood! Hollywood is all about entertainment, and to me Dances with wolves was just that.History can be very boring and very conflicting, so Hollywood makes it bigger than life to keep it interesting.

Look at J. Johnson, with Robert Redford, and The Mountain Men with Heston and Keith.Lots of BS, but very entertaining. :v

Personally, I tend to find BS very boring and conflicting. Truth, on the other hand, is quite the opposite. Sadly it is also seldom seen these days.

AK Mike said:
One you might not have heard about "Challenge To Be Free".

Hey I saw it back when it was new and as a kid I saw the problems. One think I still remember is that the rifles the two main charaters carried switched back and forth. Like the prop guy could not keep them straight.

Everyone is referring to their favorite movies, the title of this posting (topic) is: "Quite possibly the worst movie of all time.."

That said I'll do as some of you have and mention a well done movies that many seemed to have liked. This one event made you feel cold when the characters were freezing. Well done and very believeable. "Black Robe".

Black Robe received praise as a "magnificently staged combination of top talents delivering a gripping and tragic story", and has been rated one of the most meticulously researched representations of indigenous life ever put on film.

Notably, the film includes dialogue in the Cree, Mohawk, and Algonquin languages. The French characters speak English in the film. Latin is used for Catholic prayers.

Set in 1634, the film begins in the tiny French settlement that will one day become Quebec City. There, Jesuit missionaries are trying to encourage the local Algonquin Indians to embrace Christianity, with thus far only limited results. Samuel de Champlain, founder of the settlement, sends Father LaFourge, a young Jesuit priest, to find a distant Catholic mission in a Huron village.

I believe I'd rather shove bamboo shoots under my fingernails than watch "Dances with Wolves"....or "Field of Dreams"... :barf:

Though I do think he was OK in Open Range, which I liked, and he was good in Silverado, one of my favorite movies (and definitely not historically accurate, but so what?) :grin:

Sure, there are a lot of terrible movies out there, but with something like "Field of Dreams", or "Lonesome Dove", etc, it's that "everyone" else just adores them, and they get smashing reviews, yet I find them perfectly dreadful. Terribly overrated. Other movies like "waterworld" nobody really liked anyway, and then there are movies that are almost purposely bad, like "Plan 9 from Outer Space", which are actually fun to watch. :wink:

Your right Buck! "Lets see" The worst movie of all time for me.........Fried green tomato's. No! Bridges of Madison county, No!Rambo..."Heck" so many bad ones and so few good ones :grin:

If you want to take a nice nap, watch the Tom Selleck western "Monte Walsh". VERY slow movie. I had one guy tell me it was "character development". If you say so. I say it's just boring the h--l out of me. :grin:

Tommy Bruce said:
I'll generally agree with you Mike, but I saw one the other night "Alamo 13 days to Glory" that just sucked out loud. Brian Keith's character in "The Mountain Men" was one of my all time favorites.

When at the filming of "The Mountain Men" we were lined up to be inspected by the Hollywood professionals (makeup crew). Many of us had been involved in building our outfits historically correct for years; hand sewn, correct fabrics, brain tanned and so on.

A friend in full brain tanned clothing was about 4th in-line and one of the "in-the-knows" started rubbing on a dark colored brown solution on his leggins. They told him in would rub off if not careful, so don't touch it. Another friend looked inside the tipi where they got this solution from and found they were using Tandy Leather Dye.

Everything stopped and the manure started about wrecking a $1000 worth of brain tanned. The head guy from their department took pictures as did several of us. Before the day was over our friend had a check covering his costs for new skins.

We watched everything they did after that and did not trust them or their words. You have to much time and money invested to have them tear up your belongings. :nono: :shake: :shocked2:

Stophel said:
If you want to take a nice nap, watch the Tom Selleck western "Monte Walsh". VERY slow movie. I had one guy tell me it was "character development". If you say so. I say it's just boring the h--l out of me. :grin:

I liked Monte, but then again I liked the book. Only movie I ever walked out of was the siege of Firebase Gloria, with R. Lee Ermy and Wings Hauser. Oh good Lord, was that a bad movie.

Monte Walsh was a good flick!
you have to look at it from modern perspective. Look at how many of our jobs and trades have been lost to modern invention.
Monte was merely born 50 years to late in life!

I think "cocking the gun" turns me off more than most things. I know the Director is going for dramtic effect but come on, when the bad guys are out side and my life is on the line, theres already a cartridge in the chamber.You don;t wait to walk out side and then cock the damn gun. :youcrazy:

buck conner said:

When at the filming of "The Mountain Men" we were lined up to be inspected by the Hollywood professionals (makeup crew). Many of us had been involved in building our outfits historically correct for years; hand sewn, correct fabrics, brain tanned and so on.

You must have run into "Timber Jack Joe" Lyons. The most dangerous place at rendezvous in those days was to get between Joe and a photographer. I had heard he almost got kicked off the set because he kept trying slide into every scene at the rendezvous shooting. He did manage to wind up in the scene where Kieth and Heston were recovering from the night before.

Getting back to worst movies, there is a list of what I consider the worst but heading the list is "Reds". Lousey subject and obnoxious characters and worse writing. I never have been able to watch it all the way through.

I watch movies to be entertained. I don't expect them to be historically accurate but don't insult my intelligence or bore me.

Almost as bad as spinning the cylinder (of ALL revolvers) and getting the clicking sound.

Russ T Frizzen said:
For me, the biggest problem with "Dances with Wolves" is the idea that by the time of the Civil War there were Sioux who didn't know about white men and guns. Yet both had been around for quite some time in the persons of traders, trappers, men headed for the California gold fields, the folks headed west during the Great Migration, and the soldiers sent there to protect the trails and the people on them. Hollywood...
That was my biggest problem with that movie besides my personal opinion of Kevin Costner as an over rated actor.
Dances with Wolves was a total fairy tale.
The fur brigades had had been in the mountains since the 1820's and Hudson's Bay had trading posts in Montana and the Pacific Northwest as early as 1808 started by David Thompson and the French had been wandering through the mountains since before that time and had trading posts in the Dakotas as early as 1806, The 49ers as you point out and all manner of whites had criss crossed the country by that time and by the 1860's the Indians were painfully aware of multitudes of white people.
Also the fact that the soldiers blow Kevin Costner's horse out from under him just because he looked like an Indian was just stupid.
Any white man wandering the plains whether he was a trapper or buffalo hunter or even a military scout would could have passed for an Indian in those days and not even the stupidest soldiers would not have shot at anyone just for "Looking like an Injun".
I guess the indians got that white girl when she was little from the ONLY white settlers to ever venture out on the prairie a a decade or so before Costner shows up! LOL!
That movie does cause me to wince to some degree. Great scenery but it is a revisionist history movie that attempts to show the Indians as innocent noble savages and the white men as evil and generally inept, (The politically correct opinion these days unfortunately).
I really can't watch that movie.

I didn't think that movie was the worst although it certainly wasn't the best. The actor who playes Jesse's brother looks to be about 60 and Jesse's real brother was only around 2-3 years older than he was.
Dick Liddel carrying a brass framed Navy Colt replica way into the 1880's? Not happening.
The story line was pretty far off on a few incidents, Wood Hite wasn't killed because Liddel fooled around with his Daddy's wife but because Hite heard that Liddel was planning to cash in on a reward for him (Which wasn't true) There's a lot of other problems with that movie.
I did like a lot of the background scenery as someone else pointed out though.
I'm stuck in the mountains of Montana and there is no TV here so even a bad DVD gets watched more than a few times. I have seen it more than once.
I think the worst Western movie I have ever seen or partially seen was called "Big Red" or something like that with the guy who married Barbara Streisand in the leading role(I forget his name, Brolin maybe?)
Even my old room mate who frequently watched some incredibly dumb movies agreed to turn it off after we were 15 minutes into the movie so I never did figure out what it was supposed to be about.

maverick3855 said:
I didn't think that movie was the worst although it certainly wasn't the best. The actor who playes Jesse's brother looks to be about 60 and Jesse's real brother was only around 2-3 years older than he was.
Dick Liddel carrying a brass framed Navy Colt replica way into the 1880's? Not happening.
The story line was pretty far off on a few incidents, Wood Hite wasn't killed because Liddel fooled around with his Daddy's wife but because Hite heard that Liddel was planning to cash in on a reward for him (Which wasn't true) There's a lot of other problems with that movie.
I'm stuck in the mountains of Montana and there is no TV here so even a bad DVD gets watched more than a few times. I have seen it more than once.
I think the worst Western movie I have ever seen or partially seen was called "Big Red" or something like that with the guy who married Barbara Streisand in the leading role(I forget his name, Brolin maybe?)
Even my old room mate who frequently watched some incredibly dumb movies agreed to turn it off after we were 15 minutes into the movie so I never did figure out what it was supposed to be about.

Sam Shepard is in his 60's (born 1943)and a damn fine actor.
I'll give him a piece of Beeman anyday. :thumbsup:

Swampy said:
maverick3855 said:

Sam Shepard is in his 60's (born 1943)and a damn fine actor.
I'll give him a piece of Beeman anyday. :thumbsup:
I'm sure he's a fine actor.
What bothered me was Jesse was 35 in 1882 when the movie takes place and Frank would have been only 39 years old, Not in his 60's.
I still watch this movie for the atmosphere occasionally but I am a stickler for historical accuracy at times.
Sometimes you just gotta turn off that part of your brain and watch the movie for entertainment though.
I never understood why hollywood has to change facts around when the real story is in most cases much more interesting.

Latest posts

Back