• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Quite possibly the worst movie of all time

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually,
That multi barrel flintlock was a Nock Volley gun and those were real for that time period...

:hmm: WHen it comes to "Dances With Wolves", most have only seen the 3 hour verse, but the 4 hour verse makes it lot better movie. The long verse show what happens at the outpost before Costner shows up and show what happens to the buffalo hunters.

:wink: If a person want to watch a movie about a white being adopted into a tribe, the movie "A Man Called Horse" is it.

:wink: If a person want to watch a movie about a white being adopted into a tribe, the movie "A Man Called Horse" is it.

jbg said:
I may be risking my life by saying this, but I always thought John Wayne's The Alamo one of the worst movies ever. The fight scene with the feathers on the nose, the memorable quotes like "a man with out a woman is only half a man, a woman with out a man is nothing", and "does this mean what I think it do?, it do". The coonskin cap and cowboy vest John Wayne wore, the multi barreld flintlock that Richard Widmark carried, and on and on and on.

They also stuck a flintlock on the side of a trapdoor springfeild in this movie. Seems like an old guy in a top hat was using it. This might be the one where they were shooting with the frizzens open but can't be sure.

cytorg said:
I've often wondered about this also. What a great story, Lewis and Clark! Trouble is it would be an expensive movie to make and the general public couldn't care less about seeing it.

You can bet your life that IF they made the Lewis & Clark story it would have a 'love interest' between Costner and Sackatamaters...

IMO one of the worstest movies ever made with Mr C in it was 'Robin Hood' - he walks off the beach somewhere down near Dover and within minutes he is f8rting around in the dry stone wall country of Northumberland - about 400 miles due north...so tell me what an American [leastways, that's what he sounds like] is doing on the Crusades more than 300 years before Columbus was born?

The final scene with a geriatric King Richard [who actually died at the Seige of Chaluz aged 32], played by Shorn Connery at hish worsht, was butt-clenchingly embarrassing...

tac

IMO one of the worstest movies ever made with Mr C in it was 'Robin Hood' - he walks off the beach somewhere down near Dover and within minutes he is f8rting around in the dry stone wall country of Northumberland - about 400 miles due north...so tell me what an American [leastways, that's what he sounds like] is doing on the Crusades more than 300 years before Columbus was born?

The final scene with a geriatric King Richard [who actually died at the Seige of Chaluz aged 32], played by Shorn Connery at hish worsht, was butt-clenchingly embarrassing...

tac [/quote]

Was Costner in Robin Hood?? Oh yea, he was the guy in love with Ah Choo, I mean Morgan Freeman. Robin Hood Men in Tights was much better!

When "A Man Called Horse" had its big premiere opening in Manhattan, during the mid-70's, it was picketed by members of the Sioux and Cheyenne Nations, mainly for the way it portrayed the Sun Dance among other inaccuracies.

I hate to dig up such an old thread, but I really must come to the defense of "The Assassination of Jesse James...".

Of the myriad "gunfighter" movies ever produced, I find this one to be the most introspective and personal look at the mentality of a career outlaw/gunman. This is not the young Jesse James of the Civil War, nor the action packed pre-Northfield years, this is Jesse James as a paranoid wanted man of near middle-age (for that time anyway), examined in a sort of monologue fashion. In some ways (and the film does at times depart from history greatly) it is the most authentic James film ever produced. Walter Hill's "The Long Riders" is also great, but is perhaps one of the most flawed when it comes to cinema meeting history.

But back to "James". Its slow and ponderous, but amazingly well photographed. Casey Affleck justly received his Oscar nomination for his portrayel of Bob Ford.

I also disagree (politely) with the oft repeated phrase of "this is why the don't make Westerns anymore". This is incorrect for several reasons. Number 1 - the key demographic for film and television nowadays is 18-49 year old males (and preferably 18-30 year old males). That means that a period film has to appeal to millions of people in the key demographic and in terms of Westerns, the remake of 3:10 to Yuma is the only one that has come close in recent years.

There's also another problem with Westerns and its that the genre has never been allowed to fully mature. Because people have such a narrow vision of what a "western" is; bad guys, white hats, fist fights, gunplay, and then we all ride off happily ever after. What happens is that so-called Western fans don't give enough films a chance, and deride the few that take any risks.

In some ways, this is why so many of the great untold stories of the 1820 - 1920 period have never been brought to the silver screen, there simply to esoteric or genre bending for the limits of an American audience.

Latest posts

Back