• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about deer tallow.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to make the wife happy, try this. Get her a KitchenAid mixer and the accessory set. The meat grinder works better than any small grinder I've ever tried, and meanwhile you get bonus points for getting her such a nice mixer. If she already has a KitchenAid, then the accessory pack is next. I think you can even buy the grinder separate without getting all the other folderol in the accessory set.

I've been pricing those Kitchen Aids for quite a while. The last time I checked they were running $400. I think they have two versions. I'd sure like to have one but $400. could get us another ML. :rotf:

We bought a factory re-built one years ago and saved some $$, anyrate for normal use they will last a life time, or two...

Do you mix the tallow and olive oil when the tallow is hot and still liquid or try and mix once the tallow has set up a bit?

I do the same as gmww. I started out using a clear mixing bowl so I could look through it to make sure they mixed well, but mixing is so easy and thorough I don't pay much attention now.

RC and me been spearimentin and following along with Brownbears 50/50 mix I tried some 50% deer tallow and 25% olive oil and 25% bear fat (rendered). I only had a dribble that was left in one of my jars. Not the oil mind you, it is the left over rendered fat after most of the oil has separated. I like the feel of this after spending some time in the freezer. I'm sure a 50/50 deer tallow/olive oil would be similar. I think I just found what to do with all my left over rendered fat next time I render some bear oil. :thumbsup:

Course RC actually has more of the bear fat than I do atm and he just mixed some up for a shoot tomorrow and give it a good test. :thumbsup:

Back