• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Quality Military Replica

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlesZ

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Have shot percussion for years and I'm looking for a flinter--first one. My interest is in a military replica of good quality. Period of interest would range from French and Indian War up to 1812. American, British, French. No specific caliber required. I'm a left-hander.
Let's keep it fair, above-board and not personal.This forum is super, thanks.

You won't find any left handed military replicas because there weren't any left handed originals.

I have yet to see any lefty military replicas as well. In those times it was a "bad" thing to be left handed and many people in childhood were forced to learn things right handed because that was "normal". I'm sure there were lefty shooters, but in a military situation, training probably forced them righty. Today being lefty is just fine, which means there are some lefty guns available I guess. Still, the selection is not nearly as good as righty. I'm a lefty too and found searching much harder than if I'd been righty.

If you want to go early military, like you said 1750...get a good left handed fowler or tradegun built....either or both will suit you just fine in any military situation right up and including 1812 and after....and yes they are smoothbores, but finding a rifle, right or left hand will be hard to cover the time frame you want to cover...

I'm not that concerned about left-handed rifles. What might bother me is that a cheek-piece,carved on the left side of the stock, might hinder my handling. Are there straight stock rifles and would a rifle with a cheek rest for a right-hander affect my handling?

One of the first "issue" rifles was the British Ferguson (c.1776) and later the Baker. Prior to that there really wasn't a standard military pattern, as the few riflemen were usually carrying rifles they had purchased themselves.

You list a wide time range - 1759 to 1812 - and there isn't a "common" rifle in that group. There were some German Jägers, Pennsylvania longrifles early on that would be large and clubby up to the latter squirrel rifles that were small-bore and lighter barrel width, bore and weight.

I think the first "issue" U.S. rifle was the 1792 Contract Rifle. Even the relatively simple Harper's Ferry rifle (c.1803) has a cheekpiece.

Thats why I suggested he look at fowlers and/or tradeguns, as they would be correct for the long time period he stated and would work just fine in the F&I through 1812 and later....just my .02 :grin:

The short answer to your question, as mentioned, is there were no military made left handed guns. Even today there are no present day left handed guns made that I know of.
I am left handed and I shoot mostly right handed guns. Most of the time I shoot them left handed with no ill effects. You will find the issue of the cheek piece a non issue just as I have.
The only concern in that respect would be a more expensive fowler or rifle with the cast off made for a right handed shooter. Cast off is a slight bend in the butt stock. More simply put, the butt plate is off set to the right compared to the center line of the barrel. For a right handed shooter it makes sight alignment easier and causes the stock to move away from the cheek on recoil. Shooting a gun with severe cast off from the wrong side will result in a slapped cheek. Unless you find a nice custom really cheap this should not be an issue.
Most rifles and smooth bores available in the entry level market are strait stocked. The same can be said for kits. By entry level I mean a good used custom or semi custom or a newly made semi production or production gun like TVM or Pedersoli.
Another thing to consider is learning to shoot right handed. I can shoot right handed and accurately too. In most cases I shoot left but I can shoot right which really helps in hunting situations. I'm sure that skill would have come in handy fighting Indians too.

The Pedersoli offerings like the Bess, 1777 French, US 1803 rifle and US 1816 muskets are available new in the box. But because prices have risen for the European guns in the past few years a Custom made Bess or even a rifle is money well spent.
search,
Roy Stroh
Mike Brooks
Sitting Fox
North Star West
Track of the Wolf
classifieds here
flintlocks.com
There are many others but this should get you started.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard of the Brown Bess and the Baker. The French had their own Charlevoix, my pardon on the spelling.
Did the U.S. have an issue rifle during the Revolution and the War of 1812? If not issue, then was there a common arm and common caliber?

I wish they would have posted something other than a Pedersoli as their example of a rifle from the AWI. Oh well.

Call Jess Melot at the Rifle Shoppe and see if he has left handed parts for his 1803 Harpers Ferry.

Pedersoli are not quality flinters, nor period correct

jbwilliams said:
I wish they would have posted something other than a Pedersoli as their example of a rifle from the AWI. Oh well.

Yeah, I know... the articles are good, though... and will give the original poster a feel for the many variants that were used. (Other than thinking only the British had Bess's and only the French had Charleville's, etc.)

Heres mine an 1814 Common rifle replica 54 CAL made by
DOC WHITE from Rifle Shoppe parts.

001-2.gif

002-1.gif

CharlesZ said:
I've heard of the Brown Bess and the Baker. The French had their own Charlevoix, my pardon on the spelling.
Did the U.S. have an issue rifle during the Revolution and the War of 1812? If not issue, then was there a common arm and common caliber?

The Long Land Pattern (aka "Brown Bess) and Charleville were smoothbore muskets, not rifles. My early-style Northampton/Lehigh (avatar & signature image) is a representation of a rifle that might have been used by a Revolutionary Era rifleman. It's a very debatable subject as there are few proven pieces that have a Revolutionary pedigree. Mine is .54 cal with a 44" barrel.

Stumpkiller4.jpg

Johnny Tremain said:
Call Jess Melot at the Rifle Shoppe and see if he has left handed parts for his 1803 Harpers Ferry.
Pedersoli are not quality flinters, nor period correct

The Rifle Shoppe has a left-handed Baker rifle, the opposite hand of their popular Flat Lock Baker Rifle #714. The cheek piece & patch box is on the correct side for the lefty. The catalog says it was copied from an original gun. Here's the link http://www.therifleshoppe.com/catalog_pages/english_arms/(694).htm If I were going to spend the money, I would get the parts with the lock finished by TRS. The cost is $1095 with the finished lock,a great handy rifle to boot. Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Since Charles didn't mention buying a rifle, but is interested in a fairly broad period of time, my suggestion is for a Brown Bess. They saw use around the globe for a century or more, and in some of the most ferocious fighting imaginable. Add to that they draw a reaction because of the big bore and huge lock. Then add in the accessories possibilities, like cartridge boxes, bayonets, small swords, and musket tools.
No doubt. Get a Bess; they make you grin.

Back