• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Quality check on a Smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farren55

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Can anyone help me, I'm buying a second hand smoothbore musket ($350) but I'm not sure of the quality of the company of manufacture I am told it's Lions Den Arms and Antiques, can someone help?

Side note the Gun itself

$_20.JPG

Thanks, I'm contacting them now I'm interested in seeing what they say, particularly the where it was made. Not a huge deal to me as I'm starting with reenacting they moving to hunting someday (by then I plan on saving for a Perdesoli).

All in all the gun looks to be in good condition though I haven't seen photographs of the bore but I will check that when I go to pick it up from the owner.

If this is a replica, which I assume, this is most likely made in India. Which does not mean to be bad.

I have and use a bunch of India made guns and they are all good muskest and none of the ones I have and use failed at the mandatory German proof.

If you like the gun and would like to keep it, and in the case you are in doubt of the quality, let the gun be checked at a quality gunsmith.

Ike

For the Cost I don't really care where it's from, And with the age and photos it looks to have been taken good care of, and it looks there is some sort of proofing marks on the bottom (though I'll have to check when I see the gun itself) so I'm not concerned with quality (save how well it sparks).

judging by the flash shield on the lock, and the patina on that shield, I'd say that gun was used to fire blanks for living history. Just understand that as it is, it is made to be some sort of Trade Musket, and not a military arm...if that's important to you.

LD

I am aware, my plan is to see how feasible it is to thread the end of the barrel to allow A) a Choke for shot, B) or a straight cap for round ball, C) or extension with a lug for a french bayonet (the barrel is .69 Caliber).

you wouldn't want to do any of those things to it.....use it for what it is....a trade gun....it will throw shot and round ball just fine without any modifications....as for the bayonet.....get a plug bayonet if you need one....but try and use a french socket on it.....will make you look like you don't know what you are doing in the eyes of other reenactors....this coming from someone who has been in the business for a long time...

Ranger

Ok thanks, part of it is I tend to get these technical ideas and I get carried away Even if they aren't a good idea.

Last question how (though I loath the term) Fundie would the tacks in the stock be?

it all depends....who, where, and when are you going to reenact? if a native impression is what you are going for, they should be ok....but most others I would seek another gun....removing the tacks can be done, but it will require more work to fix....sanding the stock, filling the holes and refinishing...which might be more work than you want to get into....

Ranger

I'll be reenacting an 1812 British Militia, Part of the incorporated militia (Basically militiamen trained and dressed as Redcoats).

They allow any gun for reenacting the first year of the war (as kit had not been issued to the unit yet), followed by the 3rd model bess during the war, though being militia they would have had a variety of guns throughout the war.

I've considered it, but many re-enactors I've talked to take great offense to such things (beyond what is find reasonable).

If the tacks are on the other side, from experience, I can tell you that when shooting a ball the recoil will snag beard hairs and pull them out. This can cause a real flinch. I got my Bess used and the tacks came out after the second shot. If you only shoot blanks or if you are clean shaven then the tacks are not a problem. Otherwise you will want to remove them. I wasn't able to "hide" the tack marks, so I filled the holes in with a white wood putty and left them as beauty marks.

Back