• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Profile of a Tennessee or Southern Mountain rifle Nose cap area

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntman58

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Okay another question. Dose any one have a drawing or pics of a Tennessee or southern mountain rifle with out a nose cap? I have been looking and found very few and not really good shot to get ideas from. I am asking because the nose cap I was going to use I am rethinking it and looking at may be not using one at all but leaving it plain wood . Any ideas or comments are fully welcomed as I am at a point of starting the gun in the next day or two so the final planning stages are no almost at an end
Thanks a head of time folks for you expertise in this and all things I have asked. Wow I thought it would be my gun but if I keep asking it will have to be every ones LOL

This is from a set of plans for TOW. I have no idea if it is from an original or something someone just thought up, but here it is.

Dsc09030.jpg

I will be starting on a southern mountain rifle sometime next month, and I was also thinking about the nose cap area. I really like the poured pewter nosecap that packdog used in one of his rifles.
I wonder how difficult that would be for someone that has not tried it before :hmm:
Billk

Birddog thanks for the help it is just what I needed. I know down the line I will build a real kit Tennessee mountain rifle and not this CVA brass do added up thing I am working on know .I will say that having a 33 1/2 barrel looks funny after looking at the stock with a 42 inch channel. That long barrel makes it look so slim and sweet but the short one makes it look chunky. I do know I have run into a few things already like a lock area calling for a large lock and I am sitting with a small one. Also had to lower the sides a lot to get it to look okay not good but okay. O well in the end we all get to see what I end up with and the chouses are
1) Dumpster material because I blew it really big time
2) A bad looking mistake covered what is it shooting gun
3) An okay looking shooter and lots of practice doing things I have never done before

I do need to get some books to read and use for help and study material. This thing I am working on I have no idea how it will turn out, as no work bench but my lap. no power tools ( may be a good thing ) but no vise only my computer desk and lap to work from all being build by a half blind I can do any thing person who only asks for help after he messes up LOL. Dad always said I like to pee up a rope and watch it srink and mom said I always had to learn the hard way grama said I was always trying to reinvent the wheel hmmm may be they knew me better then I do .

Thanks for the site Mark - I've book marked it for future use. :thumbsup:

I suggest 2 things.

1: Go to Lowes or Home Depot & buy one of those lil portable work benches with a vice. You're gonna need it.

2: Buy the book "Gunsmiths of Grenville County" and get the spiral bound so it will lay out flat. Read The BOok Through & you will get a WORLD of info on how to do what, when, & how. It will be the best money you ever spend on building a rifle.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

Birddog6 said:
I suggest 2 things.

1: Go to Lowes or Home Depot & buy one of those lil portable work benches with a vice. You're gonna need it.

2: Buy the book "Gunsmiths of Grenville County" and get the spiral bound so it will lay out flat. Read The BOok Through & you will get a WORLD of info on how to do what, when, & how. It will be the best money you ever spend on building a rifle.

Good Luck :thumbsup:
ya know I never thougt of one of them and here I am fighting with my lap LOL . ya the book I gots to get as I enjoy this to much . in a few years the wife will be done with school and we plan to move to Missouri around the Springfield area and get some land and a shop

huntman58 said:
Okay another question. Dose any one have a drawing or pics of a Tennessee or southern mountain rifle with out a nose cap? I have been looking and found very few and not really good shot to get ideas from. I am asking because the nose cap I was going to use I am rethinking it and looking at may be not using one at all but leaving it plain wood . Any ideas or comments are fully welcomed as I am at a point of starting the gun in the next day or two so the final planning stages are no almost at an end
Thanks a head of time folks for you expertise in this and all things I have asked. Wow I thought it would be my gun but if I keep asking it will have to be every ones LOL

Good post, advice and sources but none relating directly to your question about a SOUTHERN rifle.

go to the Foxfire #5 book. You can get it at the library. There are several good shots of TN rifles and others of southern heritage(Bean, Gelispe, Hacker Martin) and you get step by step directions from Hershal House on construction.

Back before any of the present tapes or well thought of instruction manuels, and before the days(GASP)of the "internet", I did my first step by step build from scratch using only this book.

If you want a pewter poured cap Frank House has that on one of his tapes.

Billk,
It's not that difficult and you will never know till you try it. The absolute worst thing that will happen is you melt it all off and try again. Guess how I know that? :wink:

If you decide to try PM me and I'll be glad to help.

Ken

Huntman: A vice is invaluable and does not have to be expensive either. I went on a vice buying binge about 2 yrs ago. I started with a 4" I bought at Walmart a few yrs ago(since given to my son). Then I bought a Korean Clone(sometimes called a Parrot Vice(Shop Fox) of the versa-vice for $50(it's mounted on a 2X6 and can be clamped to any work surface). That's my gunbuilding vice. Then I went to Lowes and bought a Kobalt 6" machinist vice(about $70 and mounted it on a permanent bench in my shop(My only complaint is that I did not do that 20 yrs ago).
A good vice is priceless, from both a use& safety perspective. The price wil be easily offset by the quality improvement of your work.
As for the nose cap, you can do that for sure.
Both the link to Bookie's site and Packdogs will be helpful. Mine got poured last week and refined last night. Now it's just a matter of refining and polishing. None of this gunbuilding is Rocket Science or Brain Surgery a little common sense good advice and honest work can "Get Er Done".

I agree a vise is worth its weight in gold. I do have two a drill press vice and an 8 inch mechanics vice. My problem is were to mount them :confused: as that is were I do not have the area. The wife said no to a small vice stand in the bed room. when I told here we could try and find other uses for it she called me sick :yakyak: ( O I am a instigator and rabble rouser :rotf: )no storage and a 4 bed room home with 7 people living in it. The only place I have to work on things is the hood of my explorer or the computer desk. Been told if I use the kitchen table I will die :surrender: any one know what she means? The saying that a vice is also for safety is right on! I ran out of band aids inletting the lock . Dam my chisels are sharp know that for a fact :cursing: . Also this may be a way to let others know it can be done. I have found it satisfying when I do get a part done as I did it with candle soot (Just like the old days ). but it is nice having the computer right here also with every ones info and ideas. so far I am okay with how it is looking. as most first time inletting there are things to be corrected later with bedding or sawdust and glue :hmm:
Again every one thank you for all your help and ideas:bow: . I do feel like were all building this you know many supervisors and one worker :rotf: hay and here I thought I was not working but enjoying this .

I know a guy that build all of his rifles in his bedroom..... :grin: no joke....... And he is a damn good builder & builds some really nice rifles.

My suggestion to you is NO MATTER WHAT BREAKS, when your wife or anyone wants it repaired, the first thing out of your mouth should be " Dang, if I had a small table & vice on it, just a little one, I could fix that". But, Nope, can;t fix it, no way to hold it still.

:grin: :grin: :grin:

:thumbsup:

Birddog6 said:
I know a guy that build all of his rifles in his bedroom..... :grin: no joke....... And he is a damn good builder & builds some really nice rifles.

My suggestion to you is NO MATTER WHAT BREAKS, when your wife or anyone wants it repaired, the first thing out of your mouth should be " Dang, if I had a small table & vice on it, just a little one, I could fix that". But, Nope, can;t fix it, no way to hold it still.

:grin: :grin: :grin:

:thumbsup:
now that sounds like words of a wise married man (do the two really go together ya know wise and married?) :bow: :rotf: now I have to ask dose it realy work or dose she think it is just a bunch of :bull: and then ya have to like me :surrender: :rotf:

I works just as well as when the women say "I've had that dress for years".

:rotf:

HOLD YER GROUND !! Go get the dang bench, take it in the house, tell her "You have a choice, Livingroom, Diningroom, Bedroom or Kitchen, Pick One, cause it ain't going back" !!
And after ya pick yerself off the floor :surrender: BEG TO KEEP IT !! :bow: :grin: :rotf:

Latest posts

Back