• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Problems With "New" Pedersoli Shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's really not hard to dissasembke the locks.You need a mainspring vice. Study on tge internet on how this guns locks cone apart. Take them apart and soak parts in lacquer thinner. Don't mix up Left And Right lock parts. You might have a main spring hung up on the plate and needs cleaned and maybe clearance added. I love working on this stuff. Call pedersoli even though it's older if your very nice and have a good tone while talking to them you might be surprised
at the help you can get. Don't get disgusted just chip away at the problem and in the end you will be more knowledgeable and have a sweet shooter.

It's really not hard to dissasembke the locks.You need a mainspring vice. Study on tge internet on how this guns locks cone apart. Take them apart and soak parts in lacquer thinner. Don't mix up Left And Right lock parts. You might have a main spring hung up on the plate and needs cleaned and maybe clearance added. I love working on this stuff. Call pedersoli even though it's older if your very nice and have a good tone while talking to them you might be surprised
at the help you can get. Don't get disgusted just chip away at the problem and in the end you will be more knowledgeable and have a sweet shooter.
I already have one lock partly disassembled, except for the spring. They're both soaking in solvent until I get home from work. Thanks

I emailed a muzzleloading gunsmith. He said he could send me two complete locks for $200. He said they "should " fit directly onto my gun.

Sounds like a bargain price for a set of locks if that’s for the pair. I would just lube the locks since you’ve cleaned them and put them back in and see what you have. Check to see if they function okay out of the stock before assembly. If they do but not in the stock then you have some other problems. Likely binding on wood somewhere.

If I were a real ML gunsmith I would let you shop them to me and repaire them just for whatever parts. But may not be in the locks.
Would really need whole gun. If I was close to you we would put our collective intelligence together and gettr done.

Also, in my experience, Ballistol isn’t the best lubricant. It’s a wonder fluid and lots on this board love it. I use it and for its purpose it works. In your application, however, there’s better. Good luck.

Ha, ha, ha -- Ford or Chevy -- my first car was a Studebaker 1957 Golden Hawk - great car. My second was a 1961 MGA also a great car. I then went for HP with a 1967 Chevelle SS 396 - FAST and a thrill a minute E.T. 12.56 in the quarter @ 108 MPH . Then 1971 Chevy Blazer 4X4 then some other cars, Firebird, Vega, Monte Carlo, then went to Ford pick-up trucks - great pick-up trucks. Now with "old man" Ford cars - had fun with all of them and found either one to be good cars IF you did not get a LEMON :ghostly: .
How did the Vega get in that mix? …Marriage?

Just to be clear, the gun was "new" to me, but it's an older gun from 1980. When I checked the bore, it was absolutely pristine. Now I know why, it couldn't be fired. It was probably someone's wall hanger for 40 years.
Do the locks have fly's that are damaged or missing? I have one of the older doubles from Pedersoli and have no problems. The reason I'm leaning that way is you said they catch when out of the stock. It could be to much greasy crud keeping the fly from doing the job. Use a good cleaning solvent and light thin oil like Ballistol in the spray can and try it again. Good luck!

I just looked at the picture of the locks. Do you see that little bright scrape on the inside of the lock plate just to the right of the stamped number 6? That should tell you that the upper cross piece of the stirrup (connects the spring to the tumbler) is dragging on the plate and probably slowing down the fall of the hammer. Remove the spring using your new handy spring vise, disconnect the stirrup and carefully shorten the end of the cross piece enough to stop the rubbing. Use a sharpening stone by hand, not the 6" power grinder to do this.

The term 'whodathunkit' should be placed in that dictionary thing they have every year, where new words are ensconced as 'official'. It exactly describes what it reads as. (Oxford English Dictionary, I think!):p

I just looked at the picture of the locks. Do you see that little bright scrape on the inside of the lock plate just to the right of the stamped number 6? That should tell you that the upper cross piece of the stirrup (connects the spring to the tumbler) is dragging on the plate and probably slowing down the fall of the hammer. Remove the spring using your new handy spring vise, disconnect the stirrup and carefully shorten the end of the cross piece enough to stop the rubbing. Use a sharpening stone by hand, not the 6" power grinder to do this.
That scrapping on the lock plates in the photograph was remedied years ago and likely not the OP’s problem. The photograph IS NOT of the OP’s locks….. I posted the photograph of locks from a gun I own to show the simplicity of the locks.

Latest posts

Back