• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Problems with my sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sr500

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am 50 years old,and my eyes is not what they use to be. I must have reading glasses when i read, and when i shoot my Trapper pistol i have problems with the sights.I do have a aim point red dot sight, that i use to have on my Remington 870 .I was thinking about som kind of mounts, that was easy to take down. Then i could use the aim point when i feel for it, and my open sight at the range.When i am shooting at the range, i use reading glasses, but when i shoot in my garden,on cans and other fun things i got dizzy walking around with the glasses.Do you think i am crazy, mounting a red dot on a ML? Just a tought.

Seems to me that the scope rings might get in the way of the view thru the regular sights when they are mounted on the barrel.
If you remove the rings so the regular sights are viewable, you will have to resight the aim point back in when it is reinstalled.
All in all, it sounds like too much work for me. Of course if you want to try it, who am I to suggest that you shouldn't?

zonie :)

There's a device called the Merit Optical Attachment (also known as the Merit Adjustable Iris or Merit Eye Disc).
It's has a rubber suction cup so that it will stick to eyeglasses. It's just like an adjustable diopter peep sight and the adjustable iris adjusts in size to suit the wearer's preference. It helps to make the sights more in focus, and many competition shooters wear it. It does darken the sight picture a little bit because it lets less light into the eye, but the benefits are significant and well established.
After looking it up, I learned that there's both an adjustable and non-adjustable model. The adjustable model will probably produce a sharper, clearer sight picture for more people though.
[url] http://www.meritcorporation.com/products.html[/url]
[url] http://www.gunblast.com/MeritOptical.htm[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
This is really great advice! The centerfire bulls-eye guys wear this all of the time, and it works.

I'll be putting in an order for mine before I hit 50!

A little bit of hot orange or glow in the dark paint on the front sight wouldn't hurt either, and it would be a lot simpler than rings or a mount for a dot sight. Try finding some in a hobby shop, in the model dept. I painted the front sight on my .357 S&W Model 686 PPC gun and it works like a champ :wink: . Good luck with your guns!

Dave

I got a couple of years on you and I found that if I use reading glasses with a 1.5 power I can see the target and the sights. I use 2.5 for reading

Yes Blizzards. Then i sure hit something .I think i skip this red dot thing.

Idid try 1,5 power glasses yesterday evening, and it work good. Maybe i go for that. I allso have 2,5 for reading.

When you say peep, do you mean some see throu rear sight? Like a diopter?

If you wear regular glasses, you can simulate the device that arcticap is referring to by taking a piece of electrical tape and putting a pin hole in it and then placining it on your glasses in front of your shooting eye.

The effect is quite amazing and you will probably want to get the suction cup device after trying it out.

And not to answer for ss1, but yes, I believe that's exactly what he's talking about - you focus on the front sight only (which is usually far enough away to see) and the rear aperture fades out.

But an aperture that's close to your eye works better - is almost like magic the way it clears up the sights.

Latest posts

Back