• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pritchett Bullet Mold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for a Pritchett bullet mold, .563-.563,,, have checked with NOE & Old West, neither have them available. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I currently purchase pre-made from the Jefferson Arsenal!

The Pritchet bullet for Enfield with a box wood then clay plug inside its paper cartridge was finally settled on at .550 thusly cureing loading difficulties . LEM moulds in Blackpool England will make you the right mould . Will make you ANY mould conical or ball of any size. a long established firm . The US Civil war Enfield s used the paper cartridge & apparently the US used such bullets a far better option to the clumsy Burton cartridge .However in modern times the Burton/ Minie design seems to be regarded as the right bullet. and the simple art of making the paper Enfield's cartridge's & Pritchet bullets ignored or forgotten one both sides of the Pond for Target Use in England & Skirmish style events in the US .' If you are thinking Pritchet I presume you are thinking beyond the Burton /Minie bullet .
Regards Rudyard

The Pritchet bullet for Enfield with a box wood then clay plug inside its paper cartridge was finally settled on at .550 thusly cureing loading difficulties . LEM moulds in Blackpool England will make you the right mould . Will make you ANY mould conical or ball of any size. a long established firm . The US Civil war Enfield s used the paper cartridge & apparently the US used such bullets a far better option to the clumsy Burton cartridge .However in modern times the Burton/ Minie design seems to be regarded as the right bullet. and the simple art of making the paper Enfield's cartridge's & Pritchet bullets ignored or forgotten one both sides of the Pond for Target Use in England & Skirmish style events in the US .' If you are thinking Pritchet I presume you are thinking beyond the Burton /Minie bullet .
Regards Rudyard

Attachments

• IMG_8923.jpeg
    IMG_8923.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
In the near future I'll be ordering a .565" dia mould for paper patching to cast bullets for my original Pritchett rifle.....

Brett Gibbons actually makes these bullets by swaging, but the cost of shipping makes sending them here prohibitive.

See his excellent YouTube movies! - papercartridges will get it for ya.

Regards Rudyard
Having trouble locating any form of contact with LEM, any info as to where & how to get in touch?
Thanks!

Kia Ora, ( Hello) I'm not sure if this is a Pritchett mold .
But I paper patch it in my old Enfield and I have made wooden plugs out of dowel to put in the end to flare it out to grab rifling.
It's a oldie but a goldie.
Made of Bronze.
I'm unsure of actual diameter?
Good luck on your find. As Rudyard says LEM molds are AWSOME , I'd get one from there. That fella is amazing:)
Ma Te Wa
( Have a great day)

Attachments

• 20240113_100416.jpg
    20240113_100416.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240113_100232.jpg
    20240113_100232.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240113_100403.jpg
    20240113_100403.jpg
    1,023.4 KB · Views: 0
But I paper patch it in my old Enfield and I have made wooden plugs out of dowel to put in the end to flare it out to grab rifling.
Made of Bronze.
Good luck on your find. As Rudyard says LEM molds are AWSOME , I'd get one from there. That fella is amazing:)
Ma Te Wa
( Have a great day
Thanks, I found an email from a posting online. I have made request, let's if a response comes back.

Made of Bronze.
Ma Te Wa
( Have a great day)
I have a nose pour original,. your side pour should be fine .So many Volunteer's about in the186Os Lem did advertise on UK E Bay but the PC brigade wouldn't allow ' Bullet & Ball Moulds ' Being War like Not PC you understand ! If you do tell me I cant see why moulds are so villainous . I will contact him & relay to all his services Glenn McQuire s been on bussiness since the 60s his father Less before. Any mould you can think of WWs ,Belted ball odd shapes , more anon .

Regards Rudyard

The US Civil war Enfield s used the paper cartridge & apparently the US used such bullets a far better option to the clumsy Burton cartridge

I have not used Pritchett bullets or cartridges but please explain how the Burton ball and cartridge are clumsy by comparison. And please know I’m not trying to start an argument - I would just like to know the basis for that claim. Thanks!

I have not used Pritchett bullets or cartridges but please explain how the Burton ball and cartridge are clumsy by comparison. And please know I’m not trying to start an argument - I would just like to know the basis for that claim. Thanks!
The US Burton bullet came with an attached bullet you load the powder then place a lubed bullet in the rifle .The Enfield bullet was part of the cartridge you tore off the top end of the charge then reversed the inverted bullet to the lubricant line And snap off the upper now emptied cartridge section .The Pritchet bullet of 550 dia is upset as the clay or boxwood base plug ensured steady shooting that was adequate and kept clean Presumably the closer fitting Cannel lured Burton Minie/Bullet became foul more readily .Apparently the Pritchet/ Enfield plan was adopted in the war . There where difficulty's with wider bullets and fouling in the Indian Mutiny that brought the Pritchet plan to prominence .Ive got no shares in either system Trust that helps.
Regards Rudyard

Having trouble locating any form of contact with LEM, any info as to where & how to get in touch?
Thanks!

He seems to be living in a time-warp, which is pretty sad. However, he advises us to make contact with him via E***, using the username glennhow56. You can message him that way, but, AFAIK, that's it.

He left a note on the MLAGB pages of FB a while back advising us of this method - it's his business why he chooses that manner of contact, but I have to say that it really is a RPITA.

Finding this ghost is very difficult! Maybe he will stumble onto this thread & reach out. There are various rabbit holes trying to find him & one must be cautious of imposters that seeks funds!

I'd examine some possibilities.
a) Reduce Lyman #575213 minies with a push through sizer. I've taken .54 caliber minies down to .519".
b) Have a 2nd or 3rd hand .54 caliber minie mold skim cut inside to produce to smooth sided diameter of your choice. This is easy too.
c) Have a 2nd or 3rd hand smaller diameter single cavity mold remachined to use a Lyman minie mold base plug. The RCBS .45 caliber minie molds would be a good candidate for this.

The US Burton bullet came with an attached bullet you load the powder then place a lubed bullet in the rifle .The Enfield bullet was part of the cartridge you tore off the top end of the charge then reversed the inverted bullet to the lubricant line And snap off the upper now emptied cartridge section .The Pritchet bullet of 550 dia is upset as the clay or boxwood base plug ensured steady shooting that was adequate and kept clean Presumably the closer fitting Cannel lured Burton Minie/Bullet became foul more readily .Apparently the Pritchet/ Enfield plan was adopted in the war . There where difficulty's with wider bullets and fouling in the Indian Mutiny that brought the Pritchet plan to prominence .Ive got no shares in either system Trust that helps.
Regards Rudyard

For reference, please watch YouTube - papercartridges - the Enfield Cartridge.

AND read the book by Brett Gibbons 'The Destroying Angel'.

Back