• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Primitive bag mold calibre availability

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trey

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does Rapine manufacture a primitive bag mold in .562 calibre? If so, how do I contact them (other than the snail-mail address listed in Muzzleloader mag... :( )?

Rapine Bullet Molds

Ray Rapine at (215) 679-5413
I just bought a mold from Jeff Tanner and got it in 7 days $35.00 .
Not a bag mold but it sure is a nice mold and if I need another I sure will buy from him . I e-mailed him and ask if he could make me a .520 roundball mold and he e-mailed me back within 3 hours and said it will be shipped the next day. He puts your name on the mold and the size .Mold is small made of brass . Alittle forge work and I will come up with a piar of handles that will make it a bag mold . Regular handles do fit these molds . Do a search for Tanner Bullet Molds or give me a PM to go to his site .

Trey said:
Does Rapine manufacture a primitive bag mold in .562 calibre? If so, how do I contact them (other than the snail-mail address listed in Muzzleloader mag... :( )?
Ray's got a phone number you can get if you search this forum. I'd recommend that if you haven't done it already, mic your bore, and be prepared for a few questions. Ray's a great guy to deal with, and he'll hook you up right. I Called and asked for a .715 bag mould for my bess, and the first thing he did was asked why:youcrazy: and then proceded to explain to me the variations in production bore diameters. Ray felt I needed a .735 for better accuracy, but Since I hadn't mic'ed my bore, I felt it best to stick with the tried and true .715 and he delivered a fine product
sorry, got carried away. :redface:

Thanks for the input gentlemen :hatsoff: . I ordered a .565 primitive bag mold from Ray after reading your posts and obtaining the phone number... I've ordered from Ray before (couple years ago) and I feel comfortable with the quality of his product. I feel I can adjust my patch size a little to get the accuracy I need to hunt and plink with without making the PRB too tight to load:thumbsup: !

Barrel is listed as a swamped .58 calibre Getz (I never measured it)... Currently shooting 2"-3" groups at 100 yards with .562 PRB. Barrel will handle a .570 but it's just a little too tight for my taste (like to start the ball with my thumb)and I have to use a short starter.

With All Due Respect, Gentlemen, I hope that if there is any lesson to be learned from this post is that you need to actually measure the bore of every gun you buy, regardless of who supplies the barrel, how much money you pay for it, etc. BP accuracy, just like with modern guns, ( buttstuffers), is a game of thousandths of inches. Can you imagine how maddening it is for Ray to constantly get calls from men asking him to make a custom mould for them, and they don't know the bore size of their gun? or the groove depth, and diameter? Give the man some respect( and yourself too) by measuring the bore( land to land) and groove diameters before ordering a mould.

My most recent acquisition was a smootbore 20 ga. The gun maker ordered barrel stock from the same supplier he obtained stock to make a similar gun for himself just a few months before my order came to him. He never bothered to measure the bore. When the 20 gauge wads slipped down the barrel too easily, and the velocity readings for PRB were unexpectedly low on the chronograph, we pulled out a caliper( Dial caliper this time) and measure the bores. The were substantionally oversized, so that we ended up ordering 19 gauge over powder wads and over shot cards to use in the gun. It works fine, now. We did have to sort our cast round balls and fine sticking with the larger sized balls out of the mould give better accuracy. If I really get into using this gun for hunting deer, I
will consider ordering a custom mould, too.

Personally, after having several guns over my life time that had odd sized bores in them, that cuased getting good accuracy to be difficult at best, I have taken to slugging the barrels of every new gun I acquire, or measuring the bores of new ML rifles and smoothbores. EVERY TIME. It has save my stomach ulcers, and my high blood pressure from killing me.

I agree with you all. the primitive molds of Rapine are very good quality. I use a mold in .445 and want to order another in .535 for my Hawken. RB's out of the .445 mould work best in my .45 Investarm Hawken and in all my .45 pistols, even in my colt army 1860 in .44 accuracy is very good. So it is a real multi mold.

Back