• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Price of materials

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Back in March of 1979 I bought all the parts to build a rifle from a gentleman named Ted Fellowes in Seattle. Thought you may be interested in costs then as compared to today;

1. Curly maple stock. Full length curl. $75.00
2. Inlet for barrel $45.00
3. 45 cal Douglas barrel $45.00
4. Doc Hadaway lock, (flint) $60.00
5. Double set trigger assembly $14.50
6. Breech plug $5.00
7. Patch box $9.00
8. Butt plate $4.50
9. Ram rod pipes $8.75
10. Trigger gaurd $4.00

I started on the rifle then but got sidetracked. Just dug all the parts out and have restarted. Glad we have the internet now. Back then you were kind of on your own for a lot of stuff.

:grin: Well NOW you can look at it as a pretty good investment...It would cost you at LEAST twice that today for the same stuff...
Im looking at a Pecatonica kit, a full-stock Hawken...$523.50 for theparts and another $250 to $325 for the stock....I have a kidney on sale at G-Broker to try and pay for it all :haha: :haha: :haha:

Looking foreword to the pics of your completed project!!

We do envy the prices of those days.
I had an ml shop and still have some tins of caps I sold in my shop. I retailed them a 79 cents for a tin of 100.
You are extremly fortunate to have a Doc Haddaway lock. Among the finest of all the modern day locks ever made.

Personally I'd go with a different lock.Fine as Haddaway locks are,you can't get parts for them outside of making them as a friend of mine found out recently.Then finding someone capable of doing the making and fixing.Something to consider.

I know a few people with his locks and they have never needed any repairs after many years of use. I would go with what you have and not worry. :idunno:

I came into an unused Haddaway flintlock a while back. The lock is very well crafted and is between the large and small Silers in size.

I will be using this lock on a lehigh build down the road sometime. I understand there is no parts support but am confident that if, on the off chance, something were to go wrong it would not be beyond fixing for a reasonable price by someone like Brad Emig of Cabin Creek.

No different than crafting a rifle around an original lock. There are bigger things to worry about.

Enjoy, J.D.

We do envy the prices of those days.

We tend to look at those prices through rose colored glasses.
The average household income in 1978 was$15,064

The average household income in 2011 was $51,413.

Lets examine those prices from 1978 compared to today's money.

Stock 2011 price$255.00
Inlet $153.00
BBL $153.00
Lock $204.00
Triggers $ 49.30
Breech Plug $ 17.00
Patch box $ 30.60
Butt Plate $ 15.30
Pipes $ 29.75
Trigger Guard $ 13.60

Complete Kit $920.55

Some things are more today but most less.
At $920.55 were talking roughly the same price as a Chambers Kit. Chambers 2011 kit price $930.00
Was this kit the same quality as Chambers? I would not think so. I would bet it would be like a TOTW kit that's right around $5-800.00.

I agree, I can't wait to start my gun company that will market and sell gun kits for somewhere around $60. It will seem like old times! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back