• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Prep'pen ticker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spot Shooter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy folks,

I made it outa Jo-anna fabric's alive! Went all by myself and finally got lead around by the hand by some gal. She must 'ave felt sorry fer me - I was OK with it though 'cause she weren't hurt'n my eye's at all. :D

Ok where was I, Oh ya- ticker - got me a couple of yards. Stuff is hard as could be, I'm guess'n I warsh it 'er somethin' ta get it inta useable shape.

Jest look'n fer suggestions afer I do somethin' I shouln't of.

Spot

As noted on other posts, the cloth you bought has "sizing" in it.
Don't ask me why it's called "sizing" because I think it is one of those secret things only women are allowed to know and they aren't telling.

Anyway, what sizing is, is starch and it keeps the material nice and smooth and easy to work with for dressmaking and the like.

If you just run it thru a quick cycle in your wives washing machine it will all wash out.

A lot of shooters like to "line dry" it after washing rather than using a gas or electric dryer but I don't know why.
One thing I do know is you don't want your wife putting some fabric softener in the machine when your washing it. If your wife won't let you within 15 feet of "her" machine, just tell her "it HAS to be rough to work right.
(Is it just me or are some women crazy about that stuff? My wife puts it in anything that gets within 5 feet of the washing machine and the dam stuff makes me itch.......Oh, You don't suppose she knows tha.......)???? :shocking: :shocking:

What you can do (if'n yu'n be banned from them thar new fangled worshin' contraption, "sheesh, I'm typing like ZONIE") is to run some water in the bath tub (put the drain plug in first) and place the ticking in the water...

Now all that's left to do is to take off your shoes and socks, roll your pants legs up and swish the cloth around with your feet... Like stomping grapes into feet-wine...

Here is an added bonus for you men out there, you can wash the sizing out of the ticking and wash your feet at the same time... :haha:
What a handy time saver that is... :winking:

When you are done, just hang the sheet of ticking over the shower curtain and don't worry about it dripping onto the bathroom floor, tell her that you just mopped too...

Isn't it great to help out around the house? :winking:

Musketman,

I did jest about exactly what ya said but done it with warshin' machine soap in the kitchen sink. I din't mention this but the first place I went din't have the thickness of thicker I wanted. They had .0185", well I didn't know if it was the pretty gal or the worries that I woun't find the right thickness elsewhere so I bought a yard of it. At the second place I found .02" and this time I had a redhead walk'n me around (That'd be a double score).

Anywho, I was suspicious because of all that starch so I brought them back and warshed them both. I'll give a report on the thickness later taday, they hung over the shower last night and should be dry. I'd go measure now but I'm still drinkin' my coffee.

Spot

Mooskeetman: Ah wrote down what ye said. It went like this:"Here is an added bonus for you men out there, you can wash the sizing out of the ticking and wash your feet at the same time..."

Dont ye kno washin tha essence offen yer feet wal remove all o the defensive layers ye's been buildin up oer tha last yar an protectin ye? Am SARS an Bird Flus is jus a waitin fer ye ta drop yer defensive layers so's they can invade ye ::
Oh by tha way, ye were writin real good thar fer awhile. Why'd ye quit?

Oh, an Spot: Ye better stop a watchin em girls down at JoAnnes or Mrs Spot wal be a bendin that new riflegun barrel over your head! :haha:

Zonie,

It's her own fault fer leavin' me wonder'n around helpless and all. I the wood's I can tell which way is which. Especially, where'd I come in from.

I walked in that place and WHOA! I was jest stare'n at all that stuff piled everywhere. A gal walked by and asked me if I needed help - It went like this...

Hi can I help you... Ah.., is this stuff organized in any specific way...(dumb look on my face).. Yes, this is here, that's over there, .... (my eyebrows raised - to show I don't have a flip'n Idear of what yer tell'n me)...
What are you looking for (now she's really look'n concerned I'll get lost or hurt or somethin) Well, (I hold up some patch material) I think it's called pillow ticker or somethin. Now here eyebrow's are raised as she looks up from stare'n at the patch of material in my hand. Oh ya we have that, come with me and I'll take you there. Finally I show a bit of releif.

Now she gets me to the shelves where I see (thank god) blue and white stripes. OH that's it! Thanks - she stay's there. I pull out my Mitiyuto mike's and start spec'n the cloth. - she asks what are you using this material for. UH-OH, well that's kind of odd. Really? Well ya, I use it for shooting the real old black powder rifles that you see on movies like daniel boone. Hmmm she say's - I don't remember see'n any in the movie. At this point I stopped mike'n the cloth and turn't around and smiled. She were already smirk'n at me.

I'll leave the rest up to yer imagination. Real nice gal - smart too.

Spot

Ye done good Spot.

My experiance went more like:
Her: May I help you?
Me: Yes, I was wondering if you had any 100% cotton material which was fairly thick?
Her: What do you intend to use it for?
Me: Shooting patches for my rifle.
Her: S...Sh...Shoot........SHOOTING patches for your RIFLE????
(Her forehead frowns and her eyes turn to little slits)
(very cold) Well..... if you need help please call on someone!!! (turns and vanishes behind mountains of cloth).
Me: Mam? Mam? Now where the H*** did she go?
20 minutes later I find what I'm looking for and tote it to the counter.

I guess I just don't have your touch with the ladies.

My experiance went more like:
Her: May I help you?
Me: Yes, I was wondering if you had any 100% cotton material which was fairly thick?
Her: What do you intend to use it for?
Me: Shooting patches for my rifle.

ZONIE:
There's where you went wrong...

You should have said: I want to make fancy half-slip covers for my plumbum sphears...

Baffle her with fancy words... :winking:

I suspect that if I said "I want to make fancy half-slip covers for my plumbum sphears... " I would have recieved a swift kick to my plumbum sphears.

Latest posts

Back