• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PRB accuracy, twist, barrel length

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Rummer

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I called Fox Ridge Outfitters looking for a TC .50 cal, 1:66 twist. They offer the barrel in 31" length. I prefer a shorter barrel, 28", because it is easier for me to tote through the woods.

The young lady I spoke to suprised me by saying that shortening the 1:66 barrel would make the gun less accurate. I don't think she was referring to the advantage of a longer sight radius.

Is there a relationship between accuracy,twist and barrel length?

I have seen other posts that hint at this, i.e. shorter barrels have faster twists for a reason.

A hint from Fox Ridge is that they will sell a 58 cal, 28" barrel but the twist is 1:48. I know many members have had success with this twist but why wouldn't the use of a 58 cal be focused on the PRB with twists slower than 1:66. It seems counter-productive to focus on a maxi-ball in the 1:48 which would have to be very heavy and probably painful to shoot.

Soooo... Why do shorter barrels get offered in faster twists?

The young lady I spoke to suprised me by saying that shortening the 1:66 barrel would make the gun less accurate.

She might be suggesting that the crownon the shortened barrel may not be as accurate as the factory crown.

I think most would agree that there is a relationship between accuracy and twist. Barrel length would introduce other factors effecting accuracy such as sight radius and balance.

Soooo... Why do shorter barrels get offered in faster twists?

The only time I've seen that relationship is in pistol barrels which seem to be offered in much faster twists than would be seen in a same caliber rifle barrel.

As far as the .58 goes, even at 1:48 it could be accurate with a prb. Could not agree more with you on the negative aspects of loading a .58 with conicals. Not my idea of fun although I have done it and it is not too punishing with loads of 60 frains or less powder.

I have a TC Pa Hunter carbine with the 21 inch 1 in 66 barrel, and it is very accurate out to about 75 yards. I am amazed at the small tight groups that it will print out to this distance. When I first started shooting it I hated it because it would not group anything. I finally found the combination of patch thickness,amount of powder and ball size that it liked and it is a great little shooter.

I like a 28" barrel as well. I have barrels that are 21",24",28" and 31". I like the 28" the best. I would like to have a .54 GM slow twist barrel in 28" length. If I could buy one I would but I won't pay what someone would want to make a drop in for one of my flinters; I will just use what I have.

Personally I wouldn't be afraid to chop the 31" barrel down to 28". I have a 30" .58 in 66 or 72 twist that will drive nails. Pistol barrels are fast twist because of the slower speed that the ball moves. The RPMs that a ball is turning has a greater effect on accuracy than the twist. But the two are linked together by the very nature of things. An interesting thought also is that projectile retains its RPMs far longer than it retains its speed.

KV Rummer said:

Yes, there is.

The amount of rotation imparted on a projectile is affected by both twist and barrel length. For example, Lyman GPR's have a 1:60 twist in a 32 inch barrel for shooting roundballs. The Lyman GP Pistol is also designed for shooting roundbals but it has a 1:30 twist in an 8 inch barrel. This is in .50 and .54 caliber.

The shorter the barrel, the faster the twist needed to stabilize a given projectile.

Caliber also comes into the equation. That's why you'll commonly see 1:48 twist in smaller calibers like .32 - .40 designed to shoot roundball.

I hope this helps a bit. I know some experts will jump in with a more scientific explanation.

HD

I changed the barrel of my TC hawken from a 28" 1 in 48 to the 31 inch 1 in 66. I was astonished at the difference in round ball accuracy with a half dozen different loads. I was and am still delighted with the change, and notice no difference in the woods with a 3" longer barrel.

The way to understand the relationship between twist rate and barrel length is to look at the rate at which the projectile is spinning when it exits the barrel.

Using the Lyman numbers to illustrate the point, and making some assumptions about muzzle velocity and the gas pressure rise time:

A ball fired from the rifle will rotate 192 degrees while in the barrel, and it's in the barrel some 0.0044 seconds (assuming 1200 fps Vm and a linear increase in speed from rest to exit). The angular rate of rotation imparted to the ball in that case is 0.853 deg/sec.

A ball fired from the pistol will rotate just 60 degrees while in the barrel, and it's in the barrel just 0.0019 seconds (assuming 700 fps Vm and the same linear rate of increase of velocity). The resulting rotational speed is about 21% that of the slower twist rifle barrel, 0.183 deg/sec. This is entirely due to the shorter barrel length.

The Vm assumed above may not be correct (I didn't take the time to look up actual values) but they serve to illustrate the effect. Just like with linear velocity, rotational velocity is a function of the amount of time the gas pressure acts on the bullet, which is directly a function of the barrel length. However, in the rotational velocity case we can affect that by changing the twist rate in the barrel. In the case of the Lyman pistol, it would take a twist rate of 1:6.4 to obtain the same rotational velocity as the Lyman rifle achieves (making the above velocity assumptions).

mykeal.

Ya know I actually understood what you just said.

But Now my head hurts. :bow: :thumbsup:

I was kinda fond of a 44" barrel .50 cal that had about a 1/70 twist, you start talking about 28 or 24 inch barrels them is just big pistols.

If we took a velocity of 2000 FPS out of a turn in 48" barrel we would end up with 30,000 RPMs. It wouldn't matter if it was a 24" long barrel or one 5 feet long. The significant number is the 30,000. (If that's what it takes to stabilize the projectile) Now if we drop the velocity down to 1/3 of the 2000 such as in a pistol, we would have to triple the rate of twist to achive the same RPMs.

Now if we drop the velocity down to 1/3 of the 2000 such as in a pistol, we would have to triple the rate of twist to achive the same RPMs.

Shortstring, I'm just using your post as a jumping off point for the discussion below. I'm not directing this at you! :)

All of this assumes that round balls have a loss of stability threshold at a certain rpm. IOW, going under those rpms will result in a loss of stability (accuracy) If that is indeed so, then extrapolating to the needed twist of a short barrel (pistol) from the rpms perceived to be needed to stabilize a round ball makes sense. However, it all seems to be balanced on the idea of that minimum rpm threshold.

We can look at the twist rates offered by historical and modern barrel makers for the answer, but that does not tell us anything about rpms needed. I'm convinced that twist rates offered by various barrel makers have been more related to manufacturing limitations than any kind of science. The original Hawken rifles were offered in mostly 1:48. We know now that it is not the ideal twist rate for a large bore rb gun, but yet that is what was used. :confused: One of the Hawken brothers worked at the Harpers Ferry arsenal where he built the 1803 Harpers Ferry rifles. These rifles had a 1:56 twist. Wonder if there was any science to that? Probably not! If there had been, would Hawken have set up to make 1:48 twist barrels?

What about modern barrel makers? When the GPR was first introduced it was built with a 1:66 twist (i have one of those). Later it became a 1:60 twist. So, what was the reasoning behind that? We can suppose all day long that Investarms tested and tried other twists and scientifically concluded that 1:60 is superior. Fat chance, IMO. I suspect it had more to do with streamling or combining manufacturing capabilites with a knowledge that the 1:60 would be perfectly acceptable rather than any idea that it would be superior.

It does not make much sense to apply Greenhill to round balls when seeking the *minimum* twist needed for stability. It is true, IMO, that using the Greenhill to arrive at a twist rate for a rb barrel will result in a satisfactory barrel. But, not necessarily because the formula *applys* to balls, but simply because application of the formula does no harm.

Greenhill was developed in order to predict stability for elongated projectiles that must overcome a minimum of two pressure waves (front and rear) as well as other pressure waves generated by interuptions to the smooth sides of the projectile such as cannelures, etc. Wonder if anybody has shadowgraphs or hi speed photos of any round balls in flight that would show the pressure waves generated by a ball? The other factor that makes the comparison imperfect is the fact that the nose shape of an elongated projectile will have a tendency to overturn due to the forces of wind. The longer and more pointy the nose, the more critical that effect becomes and the more spin that is needed to overcome that effect. No such problem with a ball. As far as I can see there would be no force applied to a ball in flight that would tend to make the ball roll it's frontal surface over to the rear.

BTW, modern (suppository) barrels twist rates are not determined using the Greenhill formula! If you measure bullet lengths on some of the longer projectiles for .270, .25. 7mm calibers and then apply the Greenhill formula, you will find that they all exceed the length predicted by Greenhill.

Balls from smoothbores could be our baseline in trying to determine the minimum twist (or rpm if you like) that is needed to stabilize and accurize a ball. Experiments that would gradually apply increasing twist to a rifled barrel could get us to a point of understanding the minimum required. That of course would be an expensive and time consuming experiment that most of us, me included, are not able to undertake. My tiny contribution is the ongoing build of a pistol with a nine inch .36 caliber barrel with 1:48 twist that was acquired in the shortening of a GM barrel. :) Whenever I read these discussions or see recommendations for twist rates for pistol barrels, I wonder how my little project will shoot. We'll see. :)

I think we should focus on the minimum required twist to stabilize a ball and maximize accuracy if we want to arrive at the most accurate twist rate for the any given barrel length or proposed velocity. Most experienced rb shooters who have used rifles with varying twist rates have found, and pretty much agree, that there is accuracy degradation when the ball is spun to fast. I myself have found this to be true when shooting .50 and .54 caliber rifles with both fast and slow twist. It's apparent that the slow twist barrels will allow accuracy at higher velocities than the slow (1:48) barrels.

And please, don't get the idea that I'm attacking the accuracy of your favorite TC or other 1:48 rifle. I'm not! I have used 1:48 twist .50 and .54 barrels to good effect in matches and in the field. But, I also know that while I can stoke up my .54 with 1:70 twist and still maintain accuracy, I can't go nearly as high with the faster twist barrels and still retain the accuracy. Especially as ranges reach out to the 50 to 100 yard distances.

None of this is me advocating for heavy charges or high velocities and I don't want to trigger a discussion revolving around the known fact that *it only takes 50 or 60 or whatever grains to kill a deer*, etc., etc. :)

RBs were fired out of smoothbore pistols, and long guns for years before they every saw rifling. And some of the first rifling was not turned, but straight grooves to hold the patches!

So, I doubt that thinging of a PRB loosing " stability" and thereby becoming inaccurate if it slows below a certain speed, or rpm is reallly the way to understand of a ball that is not spining.

A RB fired out of a smoothbore is akin to a baseball pitcher's Knuckle ball. At speed of his throw it travels relatively straight. However, if he controls it correctly, just before it nears the home plate, it veers up or down, so that the batter misses is.

This is done because of the stitching on the baseball which is greatly affected by air coming around the ball, and by the pattern of the stitching.

With a round lead ball, you don't have those stitches extending off the surface, nor the pattern of stitching to produce sudden changes in direction. But, what you do see, is that after 60 to 75 yards, the Round ball begins to be affected by both DRAG( present as soon as the ball leaves the muzzle ) And air pressure around the ball. Any wind will affect the direction of the ball much more beyond 60 yds, then it does at shorter ranges.

That is why the smoothbore "smoothrifle" or " fowler" or " shotgun" shooting a PRB is considered a much shorter range firearm than any rifle is. The larger the caliber of the Smoothbore, the sooner the ball is affected by air pressures. The smaller the smoothbore, the less effect the air has on the ball until you get to 90 and 100 yds. There are some 28 ga. smoothrifls that produce very small groups out at 100 yds. on the other hand, 12 ga. and large bore guns tend to be okay only to about 75 yards at best, shooting a lead RB.

One of the reasons the 20 gauge is so popular as a bore for fowlers is that its a fine compromise between large and small bores, throws a heavy ball, and gets fine accuracy from many guns right out to 100 yds. The added plus is that in most guns, it can do this without beating your shoulder to death!

There are many smoothrifle shooters who are also big champions of both 14 and 16 gauge guns for shooting RBs. If you already have a 65 or 69 caliber ball mold for use in a BP rifle, such as some of the Civil War muskets, there is no reason Not to consider these same diameter balls when choosing the caliber or gauge of a smoothrifle, or fowler. Just remember that you are not going to get the same "Long range accuracy" with a RB fired from your smoothrifle, as you should with a rifled barrel gun.

Since the vast majority of whitetail deer are killed inside 50 yards, shooting a RB out of a fowler or smoothrifle does not handicap the Mler very much. I believe that is why you see so many experienced BP shooters ordering, or making their own fowlers, or buying smooth bore rifle barrels to convert their existing flintlocks, and percussion rifles.

Excellent post marmotslayer. I agree with you that it gets muddy as far as what twist is the best or if one is truly better than another. I look forward to hearing about your short 48 twist barrel. It will take the question to extremes although it would be more radical if it were a .50 or so. My gut feeling is that it will shoot fine. It's interesting, I have made chunk gun barrels that are anywhere from 57" twist to as slow as 84" twist. Cannot really say that one is better than another. At the present time I personally shoot a 66 & an 80. Any given day one shoots about as good as the other. Another question that's nagging at the back of my mind is whether or not one twist could be better than another at bucking the wind? I've got an opportunity to do some shooting in a green house. Trying to think up some things to try in this windless situation. One thing that crosses my mind would be to ream a hole & shoot it smooth bore.

Thanks for your kind remarks.

Apparently you are a barrel maker??

A greenhouse?? Interesting place to shoot. Keep em in the backstop. :shocked2:

Latest posts

Back