• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Power Point bullets in .45 cal pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I am not sure whether you intend to carry the Ruger as a back up or as the only weapon you intend to use but the first thing you need to do is check your hunting regulations. Some States prohibit the use of any muzzle loading pistol, while some prohibit the use of cap and ball revolvers.

As you may know, the Ruger requires a .457 dia ball or bullet. That is so it can be swaged into the cylinder during loading and I'm not sure if the "Power Point" bullets come in .457 diameter. If they do, then you could probably use them.
Buffalo Bullets makes a 190 grain Pistol bullet (.457 diameter) just for this application.

If you can hunt with the "Old Army" whether you use a bullet or a round ball you should be aware that the powder charge for the bullet will be less than with the round ball. Why? Because the limiting factor for the powder is the available room in the cylinder under the ball/bullet and the Pistol bullet is longer thus it uses some of this valuable space.

Although the table is for .40 cal round balls, The Dixie catalog table for Pistol Velocity indicates a 30 grain charge of FFFg (which is about all I think you can get in an Old Army even with a round ball) will give a velocity of 872 FPS.
Using a rounded off formula of Energy=Velocity(FPS) Squared X Bullet Weight (in grains) Divided by 450000 and using 144 grains (for a .457 ball) the energy at 872FPS will be about 243 Foot Pounds Muzzle energy.

In my opnion this is good enough to finish off a dieing deer with a head shot from 4 feet away but it is not enough energy to use as a primary weapon to hunt anything larger than a Coyote with.
frown.gif

I am working a deal on buying a Ruger stainless .45 percussion revoler. I want to shoot the most modern bullets available since I would like to use it for a back up when I hunt with my cap lock. Is there any reason that I could not use the .45 cal. Power Point bullets? Bear in mind when I hunt with a cap lock I hunt in thick cover and usually try to hold shots within 50 yds. or so.

Back