• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder selection for my Flintier

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharps1863

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I used up the last of my 3F black-powder over the weekend. My dealer quit stocking regular black powder, its seems everyone sells the black powder substitutes now. This is what I have to choose from Pyrodex, Triple7,American Powder. So out of the 3 which would do for the pan and main charge. My "newly" aquired 1st flintier is a reproduction Baker.

My dealer said he could order regular Black powder, but it be in 25 lb lots+hazmat fee
Its not feasible price wise for me to order any black-powder, because I don't get to shoot that much anymore. 1-lb of powder will last me a year. and I don't have anywhere to store it safely in bulk. when I started shooting muzzleloaders all we had was blackpowder so thats what I have stuck with. So what do you gentleman shoot in your flintlocks.

Sorry, you need to find real black powder. The substitutes don't work in flintlocks.

Thanks Swampy
I checked Grafs,is their store brand any good?
They are out of stock on Goex

Sharps1863 said:
Thanks Swampy
I checked Grafs,is their store brand any good?
They are out of stock on Goex
I am very impressed with Graff in house powder which is repackaged Wano powder. I use their 3F in my hunting guns. :thumbsup:

Ancient One said:
Swampy, you watch way too much television. Vern

:haha: I hesitated to order online for a long time and when I finally did and found how easy it was to get it delivered to the door, I wondered why I waited so long.. :doh:

Thanks again Swampy
Looks like I'll be placing an order for their house brand.
I have not used this forum long, but I see it is becoming my favorite, always helpful and full of knowledgeable user's :thumbsup:

:applause: Me, too. It's too easy because you can't really see your money leaving leaving your pocket. :haha:

Goex real black powder. I charge and prime with FFFg for simplicity, even in my .54

Tell your local dealer it's "OK", because you've found a place that sells small orders of blackpowder (www.powderinc.com). And you've also found places like www.trackofthewolf.com that sell accessories . . . and places like Cheaperthandirt.com, Midsouthshooters.com, etc., etc. that sell modern stuff and about everything else he carries. Thank him for tipping you towards this handy Internet stuff. And then say how sorry you are you probably won't be seeing him in the future 'cause you're shopping elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing my "Dealer is good for is a cheap FFL transfer. That is the only thing that I go there for. Most everything I buy is on-line. I just have never bought any powder. I was always under the assumption that you had to buy 25lbs or more. Thats way too much for me. 5lbs I can handle, since I have been shown the light, My powder will start coming to my door step like all my shooting needs. Most dealers anymore stock for in-lines mostly, you ask for lead balls and they look at you like your crazy "no one shoots round balls no more" To me it just anit right shooting an in-line with a scope. You might as well shoot a High Powered Rifle. Theres no fun in it. :nono:

Sharps---Yes Real Black Powder is the only way to go. It works and works well.

I have some partially used JUGS of triple Seven and the other fake manure I am trying to sell :rotf: They do not work. Want some?

As others have pointed out---you can get 5 pounds from many sources and after you start shooting it you may have SO much fun that you WILL FIND you will use it up faster than you thought and 5 pounds was a good initial order. And get one pound of 4F and four pounds of 3F would be my recommendation.

There are plenty of other ML shooters in your neck of the woods, with whom you can combine resources and SPLIT up a case of powder, giving all of you the benefit of lower pricing. Check the suppliers listed under " Links" at the top part of the Index page to this forum. Graf, and Powder Inc, among others will sell and ship 5 lbs, at some lesser discount, if you insist on going it alone.

My local club puts in an order about once a year for powder, taking orders( and money ) from members in advance. When they have enough orders to fill a case order, the Order is placed and delivered to one of the Officers of the club. He calls people who are local, and notifies the rest to pick their powder up at the club range the next month. If they can't make that date, they are asked to call him and make separate arrangements to pick up their powder order.

I know several BP clubs who do this for their membership, much more now since the new regulations were imposed on shipping BP. Most members buy enough powder to get them through the year, with a bit extra, in case there are future problems in getting delivery. If new member orders to late for the club order, usually he can " borrow" a pound of powder from a member who has enough, and pays that member back with a replaced can of powder when his order IS filled. The club itself often buys several pounds of powder to give away as prizes at monthly shooting matches.

There are many ways to solve the " How do I buy powder cheaper " problem, if you just give it some thought. It usually does involve, however, stopping being the " Lone Ranger". You have to get involved with other BP shooters.

Ignore the goofs in the gun stores. They have no clue what they are talking about. They even give dangerous advice about shooting those zip guns to customers, out of pure ignorance. :surrender: :hmm: :thumbsup:

Back