• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder & Primer Storage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tahquamenon

45 Cal.
Reaction score
How does everyone store their powder and primers?

Since the 70's;
I use military ammunition can's with sealable rubber gaskets along with a Hydrosorbent Silica Gel Dehumidifier inside.
I use a small .30cal can for primers and two 20mm cans for powder.

All of my centerfire pistol, rifle and shotgun rounds are stored like this as well.

I keep my stuff in it's original containers on a shelf at normal room temp. I empty my horns and flasks back into original cans for powder and caps live in their little tins that they come in. Same with my centerfire ammo. I know it probably sounds careless but I'm the only one who fools with this stuff so it's really quite safe. That'll change in July when the first grandbaby gets here so I'll have to get one of those US Army 50 cal. boxes for storage. It's a lot easier to be careless but much more dangerous so I guess I'll have to shape up someday real soon. :shake: :thumbsup:

cartridge Ammo in either military ammo boxes or in a big old metal picnic cooler..vintage about 1950. Bp is stored in a locked wooden box in my yard building..one "working" can of 3f is on the shelf of my workshop...I don't empty the horn, as I try and shoot a few rounds a few times a week...Hank

For home I keep the powder, caps, and other ammo in the original containers, in different lockable cabinets in a relatively cool & dry location. I don't use a horn, so don't need to worry about that, and only fill the flask with what I'll need for a day out when I'm going, and empty it into the garden when I get back.

For over-winter storage at camp I sealed the caps and powder in a couple of those seal-a-meal vacpak bags, and they went into my ammo magazine and pistol safe. The other modern stuff (12 & 20ga & .22)is stacked in our gunroom in original cases.

vic

To bdarin: I've got four grandchildren and let me tell you, they can find anything you can hide , so lock everything up so that only you can have access to it or they'll try smacking your caps with a hammer( don't think I've moved that fast in 30 years) :haha:

To bdarin: I've got four grandchildren and let me tell you, they can find anything you can hide

Ain't that the truth. And if you think that the little darlin can't open that ammo can when you're not looking, and least expecting... they're smarter or sneakier, and stronger than we think they can be.

vic

Acording to Max Vickery who was a former professional fireman at one time the safest place might be in your freezer in the basement. Fire burns up not down so to speak. Some of my fire fighter friends tell me that often the food in basement freezers is still frozen after the fire is put out. Even when the house was pretty much totaled. Just some "fuel" for thought! BJH

Acording to Max Vickery who was a former professional fireman at one time the safest place might be in your freezer in the basement. Fire burns up not down so to speak. Some of my fire fighter friends tell me that often the food in basement freezers is still frozen after the fire is put out. Even when the house was pretty much totaled. Just some "fuel" for thought! BJH

I've read articles about the same thing...even the drinks in the family fridge are supposed to be still somewhat cool after the fire is out...have thought about buying an old defunct freezer and putting it in the garage for powder storage.

Modern pistol, rifle, shotgun powder is stored on shelving units in the garage, primers in ammo cans...all the Goex is stored in their shipping cartons in my storage room in house.

I store all my caps, powder, cartridges, you name it, and most of my weapons, in my gun room/office. I am the only one that goes in there...

All of my shooting stuff is in the locked gun safe (1200 degree fire rating).

Waya :m2c:

I store anything flamable/explosive in the cabinet with
my guns for the moment. I live at home, a family member's
got alzheimers. I don't think it'll ever be a problem, but
just in case.

I also heard humidity drawn by bp can rust the guns.
Moreover the powder in a steel/tin cabinet 'll rip shrapnell
through the place if there's ever a fire.
All no no's.

Gotta get me something wood, strong, for the boomdust! :hmm:

Best thing is an old refridgerator or frezzer. These will safely store powder and you can put a hasp and lock on them for more security.

2 referigerators
1 for rifle/pistol ammo, freezer has powder
1 for shotgun ammo, freezer has black powder

primers & percussion caps are in a wooden box, seperate from the referigerators.

all in a locked garage seperate from the house

rayb

Back