• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder maker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Are Swiss and Elephant powders made by same firm? Seems that both are European made. Few years back I had a can of one or the other, it left quite a bit of fouling and I went back to Goex.

No, Swiss is just that, Swiss-made & Elephant is made in Brazil if memory serves me right. I have heard nothing but good reports on the Swiss powder, but cannot say the same for Elephant.

Elephant ceased production in late 2001. The plant was shut down and the machinery sold. Somebody down there built a new plant down the coast.
A company imported one container of the "new" Elephant back in April 2006. I was supposed to get some for testing. The company that imported it was supposed to contact me bid never did.

I had warned the new company back in 2004 that any new Elephant simply would not be competitive in the U.S. market given the improvements in GOEX quality since 2001. So now I must assume that what was imported in April simply could not come close to matching the level of quality now seen in GOEX, Schutzen or Swiss powders.

The type of charcoal used in the old Elephant powder was barely acceptable in 1999. The other powder makers left that in the dust with their quality improvements. Can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear!!

You ain't kiddin' about the quality of Elephant. I shot a few cans years back because I got them cheap and figured powder was powder. The stuff fouled worse than anything I had ever encountered, wasn't consistant and wasn't as powerful as Goex.

Depends on what year production you got. 1999 was the high point for Elephant. Then the guy who was in charge of charcoal making retired. His replacement had a rough time of it.

Back