• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder flasks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are at least one or two very knowledgeable powder flask collectors among the membership of this forum who could probably answer your question in a heartbeat if you provide good pictures.

I have a Pedersoli reproduction of the “circle of stars” or “Peace” flask and can submit a photo if you think it might help. I can guarantee mine is not an original!

Many times, you can distinguish original flasks from reproductions just by looking at the valve or head. In viewing images of originals online, I can see the genuine antiques are more likely to have 1) spouts adjustable for different charges, 2) concealed springs for the cut-off valve, and 3) deeper collars, appearing to extend farther down the neck of the flask body, probably to accommodate the concealed spring. Many of the originals shown in photos have a date (e.g. 1837, 1850, etc.) stamped on the head near the spout. Finally, and this may be a little subjective, the embossed designs on the flask body just seem a little crisper or better defined on the originals when compared to the reproductions. It appears these “Peace” flasks were made by several different contractors, resulting in some variability. However, these general comments seem to apply regardless. Bear in mind, though, I’m not an expert.

Please show us what you have!

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
There are at least one or two very knowledgeable powder flask collectors among the membership of this forum who could probably answer your question in a heartbeat if you provide good pictures.

I have a Pedersoli reproduction of the “circle of stars” or “Peace” flask and can submit a photo if you think it might help. I can guarantee mine is not an original!

Many times, you can distinguish original flasks from reproductions just by looking at the valve or head. In viewing images of originals online, I can see the genuine antiques are more likely to have 1) spouts adjustable for different charges, 2) concealed springs for the cut-off valve, and 3) deeper collars, appearing to extend farther down the neck of the flask body, probably to accommodate the concealed spring. Many of the originals shown in photos have a date (e.g. 1837, 1850, etc.) stamped on the head near the spout. Finally, and this may be a little subjective, the embossed designs on the flask body just seem a little crisper or better defined on the originals when compared to the reproductions. It appears these “Peace” flasks were made by several different contractors, resulting in some variability. However, these general comments seem to apply regardless. Bear in mind, though, I’m not an expert.

Please show us what you have!

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Very interesting aspect of ML shooting. most guns had a flask or horn . There is a new book out now on flasks & related accoutrement's written By Ian Ford & De Witt Bailey , even I get a mention as contributor .It is fully as useful as Rilings Classic . Many US types flasks where made by Sheffield firms like Dixon they replicated ones they produced in the 70s used the original dies for example the small Eagle flask has far better detail than the Italian ones have . I had lots but later focused on Deer ,or Dog & Deer but also have a few lanthorn earlier flasks. Notchy bobs right we need pics ( Notchy Bobs always right, unlike that Rudyard fellow . he's hopeless ) At some point' Felt Wad' is likely to post he really knows his flasks.
Regards Rudyard

Posting pictures is relatively easy on this forum, there is probably instructions on the site on how to do it.

Without looking it up here is how I do it, first you should store a copy of the pictures on the device you use to access the forum, if they are elsewhere you can email them to yourself and then store them.

Then it is as easy as going up and clicking on the insert image button on the bar above when your typing, and then click on the "Drop Image" box and go search for the picture, I hope you are not like me and cannot remember where you saved the image 30 seconds ago, click on the image and open it and that is it.

I started collecting flasks when they were relatively inexpensive and just love the craftsmanship of Dixon and Hawksley flasks, like everything else they are higher in price now.

Posting pictures is relatively easy on this forum, there is probably instructions on the site on how to do it.

Without looking it up here is how I do it, first you should store a copy of the pictures on the device you use to access the forum, if they are elsewhere you can email them to yourself and then store them.

Then it is as easy as going up and clicking on the insert image button on the bar above when your typing, and then click on the "Drop Image" box and go search for the picture, I hope you are not like me and cannot remember where you saved the image 30 seconds ago, click on the image and open it and that is it.

I started collecting flasks when they were relatively inexpensive and just love the craftsmanship of Dixon and Hawksley flasks, like everything else they are higher in price now.
I used to take visitors to Dixons' Cornish place,' old Milo Dixon would show us the pattern or sample room, His Bust still sat by the circuller stairs case where Ide go up to do bussiness with Mr Rollit the Manager most of the rooms where rented out to small engineers or my brass founder . Cowards who had a shop by the river Don , the floors here paved with up turned die blocks . Dixons still made pill or snuff boxes but I didnt see the flask dept I think the tops where made in Brum / Birmingham the halfs might been in house or a local firm all I saw was Jack ? Toins workshop as he made the pill /snuff boxes some useing the applied' Medalion' soldered on to the powder flasks . Wm Benett a Manchester Texile merchant collected flasks so he visited Cornish Place & found the original flask dies just stacked or used a door stops .So he got Dixon the reproduce a range of flasks . some I think being Hawksley dies as Dixon bought out Hawksley who where up on Rockingham Street Nr my Horn Scale cutters Scarlet & Whiteing By' my' I mean I was a customer but later I was offered the firm as Mr Whitting was over 90 and Mr Scarlett( one time our rent man) where getting on but I couldn't see me tied down to what was a declineing trade .And ive allways had a propensity to wander .Dixon moved up to a place up at Heeley to the south but it didn't survive. The Parker Hale connection was a bit of a lift though much was farmed out The Colt & other US Martial flasks where made by Dixons for the US Govt plus ordnance in UK bought Dixon Bag flasks for the Pimlico Colts .One flask maker highly esteemed was Mick Marsh who lived at Eyam he was an engineer but made wonderful best quality flasks and he and Ken Steggles made as good a flask as could be made cappers' measures' bore gauges' shot flasks & the 'Allport 'circular cappers , Ken Steggles long gone not sure re Mick Marsh , As an aside some excellent flasks where produced in India good double shutter flask proof if often fitted to the poor copy' Dog & Deer' but they made me tops .However being India others copied and turned out bad copies ' Caviet emtore 'however its spelt . That might be of interest.
Regards Rudyard

Back