• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

powder charge VS barrel length

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyuv

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 0.45 Philadelphia derringer, with a 2.5" barrel. I"m looking for the most potent load. With longer barrels, the heavier the load, the faster the bullet. Simple.

However, in this short barrel, the powder thakes a significant part of the barrel length. So heavier load means shorter barrel.

Can you provide info or ideas on getting the best load?
Also - what about using 4Fg instead the regular 3Fg? Would it be safe?

I dont have access to chronograph, so cant simply experiment.

One more: how do I measure barrel length? is it the Inside bore length? The total outside length? other?

Thanks,

I believe what you're concerned with is usable barrel length.
I have an el cheapo Philadelphia derringer that I put together from a kit years ago. It's .45 and has a Jukar stamp on it. I would be very cautious using more than 20 gr. of 3F or 15 gr. of 4F. In fact, I wouldn't shoot it with 4F at all.
Besides, I can't hit anything with it beyond 25 feet and certainly can't shoot a "group" with it.

A slow-moving .440 ball hurts pretty bad too. :grin:

I had one that regularly bounced off pine trees and would smack me once in awhile. Always wondered how the thing penetrated Lincolns skull?

Got rid of it, one of few I dont miss.

Absolutely worthless other than a "belly" gun. Fun though...for awhile

The "Philadelphia Derringer" as with other compact weapons of the type were intended for personal protection and concealment as opposed to long range accuracy, as a result hitting anything over 10 -15 feet away would be a chore at best.
As to using 4f for a charge, don't do it :td: it is unsafe even in such a short, heavy barrel.
The barrel length would be the length of the bore (ahead of the breachplug).

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Sometimes these questions verge on the number of angels dancing on the head of a pin. The gun itself was a arms length defensive weapon. Power was not a consideration when the idea was to wound and let infection claim the foe. From an academic curiosity standpoint, I suppose testing could be done. For practical purposes, it seems pointless. There was an early model with a slightly longer barrel, perhaps 4 or 5 inches. Neither were long range guns. And by long, in their case, I mean 30 ft.

Back