• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Possum with Cap and Ball Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Egler

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Got a possum with my brass-frame Remington New Army. .44 cal, 30g 2f, .451 ball. Significant head damage, which is why his head is drooping on the other side of the log for the picture.

His pelt is now stretched and drying in the garage.

possum.jpg

Hide drying in the garage, carcass cooking in the kitchen! :wink: :thumbsup:

I think the skin would make a great "cow's knee".

I've been looking for a recipe for Possum Fritters for awhile now. In my experience they taste just like porcupine.

I just had to smile at this post. It reminded me of my first trapping "success"! My partner and I caught a possum in our 2nd set of the first day checking our #12 trap line. That was way back in 1978. We split an entire .25 cent sale to the local fur buyer "China Lowman". Thanks for triggering the great memory. BTW, Great head shot on your the possum, its the only way to stop one of them.
Cheers!

Good shootin!

Reminds me of the time on the Railroad I showed my engineer a dead possum laying in the 6 foot, and told him it was a rat. He took one look at the teeth, and was afraid to get off the engine.
:haha:

Great kill and good that you are using everything from him. It's been discovered that possums are quite intelligent (no joke) and may surpass dogs. In the Deep South the only reason possums cross the roads is to show the armadillos that it can be done. Armadillos are, unfortunately, slow learners.

Congratulations on a great shot on a small target. From what I have been told, 30 grains of powder is a pretty stiff load, in a brass frame revolver, and might lead to the frame being stretched, if shot much. Keep yer powder dry........Robin :wink: :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
Deputy Dog said:
Congratulations on a great shot on a small target. From what I have been told, 30 grains of powder is a pretty stiff load, in a brass frame revolver, and might lead to the frame being stretched, if shot much. Keep yer powder dry........Robin :wink: :bow:

It was 30g of 2f, most people seem to use 3f. My usual practice load is 25 g 2f, but my "hunting" load is 30g.

This is not meant to disparage your excellent shot, but possum are prehistoric animals and have an intelligence of that era. But, evidently they've somehow found a way to survive into the modern age.

I trap and snare cottontails in my back land and have been encountering "theft" by coyotes and foxes....very disappointing to just catch a "head".

So I bought a large sized jaw trap , baited it and didn't catch any of the rabbit "thieves"....but, one night outlined against the snow was an animal lying where my trap was....couldn't make out the animal. Upon approaching the animal, was disappointd to see a humongous hissing possum. Have caught possum on numerous occasions in the live traps and had to "dump" them out....they were too dumb to flee when I opened the trap door.

Never thought of eating a possum mainly because my wife doesn't like the looks of this weird animal and wouldn't allow one in the house.

Again, good shooting and for utilizing the animal......Fred

Back