• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Possibles vs. Shooting bag?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next week several of us are going on a primitive overnighter. I'll be carrying my shooting bag , that's just large enough to hold my shooting stuff, and another larger bag with the other stuff that I might "POSSIBLY" need.

I agree with Grey Wolf and I read one of the books on Jim Bridger where a possibles bag was mentioned and it was an auxillery bag for odds and ends. "If you possibly had it, it was in your possibles bag". It seems this term relates only to the Mountain Men of the 1825-1840 era.

what confuses the issue is that hunting pouches were called "possibles bags" back in the 1970's- 1980's by a lot of folks. Even hunting pouch isn't all that great a term because I think the hunting pouch was often called a bullet bag but today a bullet pouch/bag refers to a very small bag used to carry 50 to 100 balls.

The haversacks,etc relate more to the longhunter than the mountain men.

Well, in any event, that's my understanding-good luck.

All I know is I never leave home without my Leatherman Core tool in my, hunting/shooting/possibles bag/pouch, it makes a lot of things possible if I get into a bind. :rotf:

In the days of yore when far removed from civilization and at anytime one could be cut off from your main source of supplies, you had best have what is on your person to survive, so I would have those possible necessities to make survival possible with me at all times.

I have read certain eastern Indians carried a small possibles bag, when they encountered Whites carrying shoulder slung cloth bags, they made up ones similar from skins. Seems the Indians also liked the cloth bags and they were a trade item.

Along the Mississippi River in mid 1700's, Indians also called them "assumptions" bags, after they encountered the cloth bags at (French) Fort Assumption in 1739 at present day Memphis TN.

Yeah, and what do ya do with yer whole Kit and Kaboodle. Does it go into your possibles bag or vice-versa. :rotf:

Bill

Supply base is located in my tin tipi (powered by 300 horsepower pony herd) base camp. :grin:

crockett said:
The haversacks,etc relate more to the longhunter than the mountain men.

Well, in any event, that's my understanding-good luck.

havӢerӢsack

Pronunciation: (hav'ur-sak")
””n.
1. a single-strapped bag worn over one shoulder and used for carrying supplies.
2. a soldier's bag for rations, extra clothing, etc.

"Haversack"

Sorry about the Haversack, Claude is right. I don't think the Mountain Men used them, at least I can't recall reading about it and by "Longhunter" I was thinking "Non- Mountain Man" but the use was far greater, such as Civil War, etc. My mistake.

I consider myself an Appalachian Mountain Man and I carry a haversack. :haha: Them flatlander pork eaters had to go find other mountains 'cause we held these and weren't sharin. :winking:

'Course, the 1,900 ft "mountain" I live on top of don't register as a speed bump on the Rockies scale. :redface:

Stumpkiller said:
'Course, the 1,900 ft "mountain" I live on top of don't register as a speed bump on the Rockies scale. :redface:

Yep - Here in far SW Colorado our "flatlands" are at 6000' ASL - the mountain tops go to 14,000'...... :thumbsup: :v :thumbsup: - it ain't just the beauty around here that makes one "breathless"

You sure that ain't "APALACHIN" mountainman??? :haha:

At least you got 1900'.....I'm at 1200', and can only walk up to 1400'. :redface: :shake:

Legion

Gray Wolf said:
Stumpkiller said:

Yep - Here in far SW Colorado our "flatlands" are at 6000' ASL - the mountain tops go to 14,000'...... :thumbsup: :v :thumbsup: - it ain't just the beauty around here that makes one "breathless"

Yep - and to "walk down" to 1900' in the Shining Mountians, you'd need a big shovel. :haha:

crockett said:
Sorry about the Haversack, Claude is right. I don't think the Mountain Men used them, at least I can't recall reading about it and by "Longhunter" I was thinking "Non- Mountain Man" but the use was far greater, such as Civil War, etc. My mistake.

I was only offering one reference to their use. I think the use of some type of "shoulder bag" goes back to... well, when they were invented. :) I think they were used by Longhunters, Mountainmen, Farmers and anyone else who required them.

My only point in this thread was to put forth the notion that the "shooting bag" and "possibles bag / haversack" were two different items.

Early on, I habituated myself to calling the bag with my bullets, patching, and gun maintainance tools my shot pouch, or shooting pouch, and calling that other bag a haversack. Rather than correct anyone, I just 'fess up and ask 'em which bag they mean when folks use the phrase "possibles bag."

Cruzatte

I never use the word "haversack". First, I'm not military, second, I just personally think the word sounds wierd and even pretentious. The bag with a shoulder strap that I use to carry my non-shooting stuff in I simply call my "bag"....

:winking:

Ah yes. Well, another piece of biographical information betrayed; I learned to call that other bag a haversack when I began re-enacting as a Civil War cavalryman a long time ago.

Cruzatte

Besides shooting pouches and war bags and bullet bags and shot bags pouches and possibles bags and haversacks you have wallets. You know... the kind where ya have a long slit envelope and you can stuff all your stuff in each end and twist the middle and sling it over your horses rump and off ya go? I like wallets, you can cram everything thing but your shot pouch in there. Or is it war bag... or maybe hunting pouch. Heck, it's a bag. No,.... pouch. :blah: :rotf: :rotf:

", I just personally think the word sounds wierd'

Right on, we need to avoid weird sounding words...right.... Der Fett Deutcher (VBG)

Now now, let's not make fun of the man's name -- even if he made it up. Besides, I really like his hat. (Possible because I have one very similar.) I may have to look up the German word for skinny so I can be the skinny kraut. :grin:

CS

Hey, everyone knows I'm nutty anyway. :youcrazy:

Ah, a fellow hat aficionado! :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back