• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Poor Boy .32

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fw707

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I'm new here, so I thought I'd post up a picture of a rifle I built (with just a little help) a few years ago. It's .32 Poor Boy with a L&R lock, a GM barrel, and a decent piece of maple. I did pretty much all the work myself in a friend's shop. He gave me some guidance on stuff like drilling holes for the barrel pins and a couple other things I didn't want to mess up.

320056.jpg

320057.jpg

I made the priming horn, loading block, and measure too.

.jpg

Nice work fw707 :thumbsup: ... someting about the undersatted elegance of poor boy rifles! :grin:

Davy

I wish I was the "Poor Boy" that owned that pretty rifle. Very nice work pard. :hatsoff:

That's a beauty, I'm building a 32 caliber longrifle right now with curly maple stock, 42" GM barrel, and Chambers lock.

What did you use for stain? Like to use something similar in color.

Thanks everybody for the compliments!
Raynor, it's been a few years since I built the gun, but seems like I remember staining the wood with some evil looking stuff in a quart jar that resulted from a plug of chewing tobacco soaking in denatured alcohol for an undetermined amount of time. After that it was many coats of straight boiled linseed oil.
And please don't think I'm making a joke---I'm serious. The guy who helped me build the rifle is an old timer in the gun-building stuff, and he's got a lot of old-time stuff in his shop. :grin:

Very nice indeed, you must have a lot of scared squirrels in your hunting area when you bring that out... :grin:

Musketman said:
Very nice indeed, you must have a lot of scared squirrels in your hunting area when you bring that out... :grin:

I think they will be a lot more scared after I get it converted over to a caplock. I had a .40 caplock many years ago and they would just fall out of the trees when they saw me coming. :rotf:

fw,
VERY NICE!! Just wondering why back to
caplock?
snake-eyes :applause:

Hey, you have a buttplate on there!

That would change its status to middle class in my neighborhood. A poorboy can't afford a buttplate or fancy trigger guard!

:rotf:

That's a real purty rifle gun right there. Great peice a lumber too. I like the sloped toe line style of architecture ya got there. Do ya have a full length shot or is it a 7" barrel? :grin:

snake-eyes said:
fw,
VERY NICE!! Just wondering why back to
caplock?
snake-eyes :applause:

I'm not getting rid of the flint--I just want to set it up so I can shoot it either way. And I shoot a caplock better too.
ghost, I guess I did throw in some stuff that ain't exactly true to style--like the antler inlays on the lock screws and the antler toe plate. But I figured a poor boy would have if he could have. :grin:
Cooner, I'll try to get a full length picture. The dang thing is so long when you back up far enough to get it all in the picture you can't see details very well.

Cooner: here's a full-length picture of the rifle. You can see the barrel's longer than 7 inches. :grin:

32Rifle002.jpg

I guess it's more of a Bean/Tennessee style rifle than a poorboy really.
I took it apart and gave it a good cleaning and another coat of oil, and I've decided to leave it like it is and not convert it to a caplock.
It's too nice to mess with, and if I want a .32 caplock I'll just build one.

Nice job! I always have loved the simple mountain rifles. Hope it shoots as good as it looks.

Mike Roberts said:
Nice job! I always have loved the simple mountain rifles. Hope it shoots as good as it looks.

Me too! Simple is better! :hatsoff:

Davy

Thanks for the trouble fw707. That IS a little longer than 7 ". :) Seriously, that is a beautiful silhouette of a side view. I like the long slender sweep of the rifle. I think ya got a keeper there.
Thanks for the picture,
Don

Ya know, if you kind of cupped the pointed end of the powder measure it could serve as the ball starter. One less thing to carry (and drop).

Back