• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Polishing Brass

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I find myself a few times a year polishing the brass on my muzzleloader. I also polishing anything else that I may have been made of brass when dealing with my muzzleloader. I.E. powder measure and the like. Is there any good reason to do it? I personally can't stand it not being shiny. I believe its a OCD thing. Could be years of being in the Army. So the reason I ask the question is just to rationalize me doing it. I'm sure the deer will be happy if they ever get a reflection off it.

Verdegris , just like cartridges left in belt loops too long,

Buzz

Yep, salts and acids are used to tan leather, prolonged contact creates exposure. A persons hands also can contain salts and acids. So can powder fouling.

Most old guns are well tarnished. And it sure looks good. Of late I’ve taken to buffing my brass, I don’t know if ‘they’ did it or not out side of the military and gentlemen hunters.
Like a barrel in the white it takes some getting used to as one expects that tarnish. I’ve not gotten to navy bright but ain’t hundred year old dull either.

In town polished brass would have been a sign of affluence and idle time but in the country it was a sign you weren't working hard enough, and Lord help you in hardscrabble communities if you had polished brass and your wife and kids were in need of anything and you hadn't provided it but somehow found the time to slick your hair back and polish your rifle.....

Mr. McBride:

Can you provide any support for your posting? I would be most interested in reading any period documentation you might have to support it. I have always felt that a rifle or fusil, in period, would have been a proud and valuable possession and well taken care of. I can't imagine any gunsmith, urban or rural, who would have delivered a handcrafted product that was tarnished or "patina". As an owner, I would have taken great pains to maintain the functionality and appearance of what has just cost me the equivalent of a month's work.

ADK Bigfoot

In town polished brass would have been a sign of affluence and idle time but in the country it was a sign you weren't working hard enough, and Lord help you in hardscrabble communities if you had polished brass and your wife and kids were in need of anything and you hadn't provided it but somehow found the time to slick your hair back and polish your rifle.....
I don't buy that. If one had brass anything and didn't keep it polished, it would be seen as sloth. It's not as if it took hours every day to do.

I think if the gun was used in battle or for hunting one wouldn’t want something shiny or reflective that would alert your quarry to your presence.
If you're in the military, you better keep that gun clean and working. A soldier showing up with a dirty weapon would get reprimanded real quick.

I don't buy that. If one had brass anything and didn't keep it polished, it would be seen as sloth. It's not as if it took hours every day to do.

And that’s ok, to each his own. I imagine most soldiers, then like today, never polished another piece of brass again as soon as they got their release papers, unless it was on momma’s mantle clock. I know I had my fill of polishing GI brass. And where I’m from sitting in a rocker polishing your rifle would seem like sloth when the hay still needs cutting and there’s never enough time in the day. Just because brass polishes to a nice luster doesn’t mean it’s purpose is to be polished.

Last edited:
And that’s ok, to each his own. I imagine most soldiers, then like today, never polished another piece of brass again as soon as they got their release papers, unless it was momma’s mantle clock. I know I had my fill of polishing GI brass. And where I’m from sitting in a rocker polishing your rifle would seem like sloth when the hay still needs cutting and there’s never enough time in the day. Just because brass polishes to a nice luster doesn’t mean it’s purpose is to be polished.
You can't cut hay in the dark, but you can polish that brass by the fire after dinner.

Brass was expensive, tarnish was neglect.

Latest posts

Back