• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Plug Loss Prevention

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Irish Jack

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A preventable happening that frustrates us all. We unplug the bag, horn, (whatever) holding the bag or horn and proceed its' function. In the process the plug flops out of our grip and sometimes is lost. Dropping a plug from the horn, ball bag, etc is a major frustrating event. Here are a couple of my solutions. I wrap the bag neck with three strands of linen thread where applicable. One thread strand in one direction, two in the opposite. When wrapped well, I tie them off snugly. I use enough strand length to have at least 10" left. I braid those three like a pony tail. When at the end I feed it into a leather workers needle. I drill an appropriate size hole for the braid diameter, through the thickest part of the plug. Feed the needle through. Remove the needle and tie a couple or three overhand knots at the braids end making 1 large knot. This prevents the braid from slipping back through the plug. Large plugs I drill top to bottom and put the leather or braid through the top and tie it so it is inside on the bottom of the plug. (See Pics)
every day horn- plug attatchment.jpg
Shot Snake.jpg
Ball Bag 2.jpg
Ball Bag 1.jpg
20170907_173858_resized.jpg
Scotish Horns1.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good MIJ,

I do my powder horn plugs and have done a few ball & shot bags that way as well..

Great tip however:)

I don’t use a ball bag , I just digum’ outa my belt bag and go.

My problem was always losing my vent pick, so I drill a small hole in the base of my horn spout plug and mounted the pick there...

Secured inside the horn ,and plug attached too the strap via a leather strip... kinda’ killing two birds with one stone.

8AA00E69-C820-4B2F-87B4-32DF5C0A9083.jpeg

If you zoom in on the horn you can see thee homemade plug attached with the leather , pic doesn’t show the vent pick , but it’s inside the horn.

I was bad too lose them while just walking along, not so much while loading..

Here’s a pic of the vent pick in the spout tip.

E131030D-9955-4417-AF92-AD00313C58E4.jpeg

All my horn plugs are attached to the horn or strap by some form of tether; string, leather, or wire. Not too long, or they catch on everything. Just long enough for the plug to get free and not wander too far. Haven't lost one for a long time.

ADK Bigfoot

Back