• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Please help me identify this gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toyotatacomaTRD

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I recently inherited my father in-laws gun collection and need some help identifying this particular gun. It has no markings on it that I can find. Anyway, if anyone has any idea or info they could pass along I would appreciate it! Thanks in advance.

y0vmc.jpg

v3gaq9.jpg

nfcjb.jpg

2v99q1g.jpg

Looks like a under hammer buggy gun that was all

the rage in the 70s and 80s . They for the most part sweet little shooters.

Your rifle looks like a "Hopkins & Allen underhammer" made by Numrich back in the 1970's.

Numrich made these in many different models and yours looks very much like the "Offhand Deluxe" except that model didn't have a cap box on the stock.

Speaking of the cap box, it is larger than any I've seen offered by Numrich and it is very likely that it was purchased elsewhere and installed by a gunsmith.

There is a good possibility that your guns barrel may also be a replacement.
I say this because I believe the Numrich guns had markings on the barrel. I could be wrong about that. :hmm:

Underhammer guns like this were known back as far as 1830 when Nicanor Kendall in Windsor, Vermont was making them.

About the only things I should mention is these underhammer guns will sometimes allow fragments from the percussion cap to be blown down towards the shooters supporting arm when they fire.
If you plan on shooting your rifle wear a long sleeve shirt or a coat to protect yourself if you plan on using that forestock.
Also, if the gun is one of the Numrich guns, its nipple has a special thread size.
The replacement nipples are still available from muzzleloading suppliers.

It's a Hopkins & Allen under hammer but what one I do not know. My x-wife shot a zillion 36 cal. balls out of hers. They are accurate little rifles and very simple. The hammer spring is the trigger Guard. Her's did not have a patch box but every thing else looks the same. I think we had 6 inches cut off of her barrel for off hand shooting. The 36 was heavy! Geo. T.

Looks just like my buggy rife used to but mine did have Numrich and some other stuff stamped on top the barrel. It was .45 caliber and after leaving it with my family for about 25 years I finally brought it back to Alaska with me and re-barreled it to a full rifle. It did not have a patch box. I paid 80.00 dollars for it in Alamogordo, New Mexico brand spanking new. MD

The H&A Heritage model had a capbox something like that. Does the gun have a tapped hole in the tang? I believe those came with a simple peep sight.

Thanks for all of the replies! Some very detailed responses, I appreciate that! My father in-law remembers it being a .50 cal, but I can't be certain.

Does anyone know if it is possible to tell if it is loaded (other than taking it to the range)?

Run a loading rod down the barrel , put your thunb nail on the muzzle for a mark ,pull it out and see if it goes down to the nipple and a bit more. on the out side. MD

Thanks for the idea. I am not 100% sure I understand though (I apologize, first time ever around a muzzle loader). I took few pictures that i hope will help me identify if it is loaded or not.

Here is what it looks like with the rod completely inserted. You can see a little of the stick, but it is inside the barrel for sure.

2ex0ryr.jpg

Here is the length of the rod exactly even with the length of the barrel. Does this help?

5a2o80.jpg

Noting that the metal ramrod tip is flush with the muzzle when the rod is inserted tells me how deep the other end is going.

Looking at your second picture, that same joint is shown about 3/4 inch from the muzzle.

Had this joint been lined up with the muzzle, like it was when it was in the bore, the other end would be about 3/4 inches to the right in the lower photo.
That would put the end just about where the percussion nipple is.

This tells me that there is no load in the barrel.

If you want to double check my estimates, move the rod to the right until the joint where the metal tip meets the wood is aligned with the face of the barrel.
Now, look at the other end. If it is aligned with the nipple under the hammer or to the left of the nipple the barrel is empty.

Bret, looks like your rifle is not loaded. If it were, more of the rod would be sticking out of the barrel. Just to be double-certain-sure, you can remove the nipple and, using a straw in the nipple hole, blow into it and see if air comes out the muzzle. If you have an air compressor available, using that may be easier. Good luck.

By the way, welcome to the forum. :hatsoff: Hope you learn to shoot and enjoy the rifle. The members here have a tremondous amount of knowledge, and they are always willing to share.

You can also drop the ramrod down the barrel. If it pings, she's probably not loaded. Dull thunk and you've hit the ball. Not fool proof but a fairly good check. I do this at gun shows. Measuring probably is more definitive.

Back