• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pistol stock checkering

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DutchmanDick

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My MVTCo howdah pistol came with a smooth, uncheckered stock, which is too slick for my liking (especially with sweaty hands). I'd like to checker the grip area, but I have no experience with this and no tools (and not much money to spend on tools). Are there inexpensive tools available that will do a decent simple diamond checkering (no fancy borders, in other words)? And how hard is it to do in the first place?

The basic tools aren't all that expensive from Brownell's. You'll probably need a single and a double with one smooth and one cutter at least, but I'd add a head with two cutters. So one handle and three heads, for a minimum kit.

But I have to caution you to practice before taking on your pistol. I've checkered a fair number of rifles over the years. The flat panels on a rifle forend are pretty straight-forward, but things get "interesting" when you start wrapping around a curve, especially if there's a taper involved.

I'd practice on a flat piece of maple first, then move on and try your hand on a piece of 1" dowel. It can certainly be done, but it will teach you how important it is to lay out the area really precisely before you ever pick up the tool.

BTW- If the wood on your howdah is a little soft, it sure helps to do the checkering with the finish intact, then go back and finish lightly in the checkering once you're done.

Checkering a pistol grip like that is pretty complex. Yuo will learn a lot. I just did a great plains pistol.

Here is one tip. If you do flet top checkering like most muzzle loaders had way back, don't do the finishing first like you do on modern guns. you will have to finish last. Whith modern checkering you finish first before checkering.

Make a cutter. Only one "rail" has teeth.
P1050467.jpg

Form the teeth with a flat graver then harden.
P1050472.jpg

Lay it out
P1050466.jpg

Cut it
P1000028.jpg

P1050486.jpg

Make silver nails.
P1000035.jpg

Install them. Note borders are not yet complete.
P1000039.jpg

P1000068.jpg

Then finish
P1010140_1.jpg

Be careful of lay out changes so things come out perfectly even :grin: I moved border line just a little and did not double check everything.

Ignore the feet :wink:

P1010155.jpg

You will need a flexible ruler to wrap around the wrist to layout the initial lines and the border.
I use a fine mechanical pencil with soft lead.
Cut layout lines very carefully they guide the rest.
Borders are widened with modern checkering tools.
Note that this style checkering is more for decoration than for a firm grip.
Checkering can be done with modern cutters to make a more aggressive surface if desired.

Dan

Thank you.
I rebarreled a rifle for a friend and he decided he wanted a pistol and I used the cut off to make this.

Dan

Dan, what caliber is it and where do you source the silver for making nails?

Dan Phariss said:
Note that this style checkering is more for decoration than for a firm grip.

A firmer grip is exactly what I'm looking for. My hands tend to sweat a lot, and the howdah has a very smooth grip.

How hard would it be to make a cutter for a sharper, finer diamond pattern?

What exactly is a "flat graver" and would it be hard to make?

What sort of steel would I use?

Again, trying to keep costs to a bare minimum - I don't have $60 or so for a checkering kit that I likely wouldn't use very often.

Rich Knack said:

Again, trying to keep costs to a bare minimum - I don't have $60 or so for a checkering kit that I likely wouldn't use very often.
Never mind. Found a book at the library calledCheckering and Carving of Gunstocks by Monty Kennedy that tells how to make the tools. The author recommends 3/16" drill rod.

Brent said:
Dan, what caliber is it and where do you source the silver for making nails?

Its a 58.
I flattened fine silver rounds then cut with shears, hammered to get the size right then filed slightly to taper and cut "teeth" on them with a sharp chisel. Its possible to buy sterling silver square wire from Rio Grand Jewelry supply in 16 ga which is about .050".

Some jewelers can roll silver to the thickness needed.

Dan

Rich Knack said:
Rich Knack said:

Never mind. Found a book at the library calledCheckering and Carving of Gunstocks by Monty Kennedy that tells how to make the tools. The author recommends 3/16" drill rod.

You can buy tool steel in about any dimension needed from MSCdirect.com or other suppliers. It comes annealed and can be easily filed and shaped.
O-1 hardens in oil then needs to be drawn back to 380-400 degrees to avoid being too brittle.
By the time you get done buying the material, tools and doing the hardening etc buying some checking tools is not so bad.
Chances are the "starter" set has twice as much stuff as you need. You will need a single cutter, a fine cut, and a left and right spacers. 16 or 18 LPI.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back