• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pistol Flints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nilo52

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Why Are The English And French Flints Better Than American ? I Have Been Looking Around The "NET" And Can't Find Any Flints W/Good Reviews By Users. I Am Very Confused (not a new feeling for me) On This SubJect And Would Really Like The "Old Timers" To set Me Straight :bow: I HAve Bought A Few Diffrent Types And It Seems That The "Amber Flints" are The Best In My Traditions Trapper And I Have No Idea Why !
:idunno: Nilo52

The black English flints are great but fine ones also come from the US. Rich Pierce (on this forum) supplies white Missouri flints that work as good as the English ones and they are priced much better. He's a great guy to deal with, too.
[email protected]. I think this is correct; if not, someone will chip in with correct info.

Because only those really ****** or really amazed will take the time to write a review.

I thnik the english flints make more spark. I have some hand knapped one work nice in my gun. I don't know if there harder or what. tried the t/c flints I hate them :barf: gun only fired once in a while with them.

You only need to know two names. Tom Fuller and Rich Pierce. These are the best in my book. The nice thing about Rich is he’s right here and he’s a stand up guy.
Stay away from amber and TC agate flints.

Now I'm confused (definitely NOT My 1st time :surrender:). I wouldn't touch an agate one, learned that on My 1st flinter 13 years ago when I was 15 years old! BUT I've only read & heard good things about the Amber Flints. I've been considering ordering some, hoping they are noticably better than Black English Flints but now I'm interested if I'm being lead astray?! Any good insights? Should I be content with what I'm using?

When I first got into flints or vice versa, I purchased 3 or 4 flints at a bunch of places. Tried them and settled on what seemed to suit my style of usage. Maybe the long way round to get to what you trust, but it worked. Ended up with Black English in my .54 So Mtn leftie (Siler) and my Ketland pistol from MVTC. Just don't end up with none in reserve.GrampaJ in NC :cursing:

ebiggs said:
Stay away from amber and TC agate flints.
?? Hmmmm, several of my guns LOVE amber flints, they seem to last much longer than black or chert; guess it all depends on the lock. Other guns.....doesn't seem to matter which kind of flint I use. I'll also endorse Rich's flints, work great and are inexpensive.

i've only tried French Amber flints in a large Siler deluxe, and i couldn't really see any difference in performance between the amber and the Black English. Unless you are willing to spend the extra money to look cool (nothing wrong with that- look at the automotive industry) I'd stick with regular BEF.

The white flints are great, and i'd use them with out hesitation. Just got some and they go and go and go... the Energizer Bunny of rocks!

As regards the cut agates, they will lead you down the path of "NEW AND AND IMPROVED" which is (just one guy's opinion) not the path of shooting a flintlock.

free advice, and no doubt worth every penny

take your (not agate) flintlock and make good smoke!

MSWThe white flints are great said:
Agreed, I doubt I will ever use a cut agate rock (I picked up a couple somewhere a while ago in some sort of trade). And I do have a dozen of Rich's flints along with a bunch of black English flints. The only reason I have the French amber flints is that I picked up a couple of dozen a few years ago at a VERY good price. Soooo, now I can experiment at my leisure.

"Stay away from amber and TC agate flints."

The only reason I say stay away from amber is cost when Rich's work as well for a lot less.
My experience with the agate is they cost way more and don't even last as long. I haven't had a problem getting any of them to work but why spend more if you don't have to?

Back