• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pistol Barrels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrmflintlock

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Rayl Barrels From Stonewall Creek Outfitters?

Does anyone have any suggestions where else I might get a pistol barrel? Track is out of them.

Thanks for any help!!

Ed Rayl has a very good reputation and can't see where you'd go wrong with one of his barrels. I don't have any of his pistol barrels but do have a 42" swamped Rayl .54 barrel thats more accurate than I can shoot it. :thumbsup:

I built this pistol with a 3/4" octagon .40 caliber Ed Rayl barrel.
Excellent product !!
CASE1.jpg

I have an Ed Rayle barrel in .32 on my home made "zip gun". Have shot it for about 8 or 9 years, hundreds of shots and it is great. Will shot one hole groups at 25 yds. I bought it when Vernon Davis owned what is now Stonecreek Outfitters, so that tells you how long I have had it. So, needless to say, I would reccomend Ed Rayle barrels. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps, see ya, Jim/OH :hatsoff:

Have a .50 cal. Rayl that is a real tack driver, 5 holes almost touching at 25 yards. I have a .40 Rayl that will not shoot consistently, but I think that is my fault. Didn't pay attention to what I was doing, & the bottom of the barrel, with the Rayl stamp, ended up on the same side as the lock. Big no-no. I just did a 20 ga. smoothbore flintlock with a Rayl barrel, but the only time I got to shoot it I couldn't get a group as the muzzle is well below the line of sight over the tang. May have to put a front sight on just to tell where the muzzle is. Plus it was about 20 degrees out there in 3 feet of snow, so may have had a bit of shiver in my sight picture. One problem I had with the smoothbore barrel was that I could not get the breech plug out. It is really in there, so inletting took some time. Which reminds me, I think his plugs have a slight taper. On one of the rifled barrels, which I had to shorten on the breech end to match correct architure, I stripped the plug threads after I tried to fit it. Had to retap & get a new plug. The other barrel went together OK.

What do you shoot in your 32 Zip gun? I have one
also and been using 17.5 grs Goex FFF and a "0"
Buck from Hornady and .010 patch. Just switched
over to Swiss and tried 15, 16, 17 grs. Think I'll
settle on 16 grs. It showed about the same velocity on the chronograph of 1150 fps. This in a
10 inch DeHass barrel 1-14 twist.

I have settled on 20 gr. of FFFG Goax. I have shot anywhere from 15 gr. to a high of 30 gr. in it. It shoots good with the 30 gr. load, but is loud and a little added recoil. But 20 seems to be about the best. I use a .315 cast ball, and .018 patches, either pre-lubed or using Dutch Schultz's "dry lube". :thumbsup:

Hope this helps, see ya, Jim/OH :hatsoff:

Boy, your really getting some velocity there I bet
We will be at Friendship in June for the week.
Pistol line. Thanks for the reply.
Phil

Well, if all goes as planned, I expect to be on the pistol line all week in June also. If you want to see this "zip gun" I will most likely be shooting it on a couple of days, and will have it with me all week. Of course have to shoot flint, revolver and red-dot on some days. :thumbsup:

Take care, see ya, Jim/OH :hatsoff:

I may know you. Been going to Friendship for 20
years now. We spend all our time on the pistol
line. I'm the old fart married to the blonde lady
that shoots pistol. 12 yr. daughter also shoots
the Jr. pistol matches. Wife is Paulette. We are
from Kansas City.
Phil

Ok, yes I do know you and your family. I have been going to Friendship about 11 years now, and shoot mostly pistol, with an occasional side trip to the offhand line or woods walk for part of a day or so. If all goes well, I'll see you in June. :thumbsup:

Take care, Jim/OH :hatsoff:

Back