• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pillow Ticking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone I recently bought a CVA 32 cal rifle. I'm looking for a online source for the thin pillow ticking. The thicker stuff will be too much . I have just started working with this rifle.
Thanks
n.h.schmidt

I have been using a red-striped mattress ticking from Joann Fabrics for several years. It mics at about .012 or .013 and is perfect for .490 balls in my .50 TC Hawken. I've attached a link, but I can't be positive what's shown on site is exactly what I bought in the store.

Take your measuring tools with you. I found the ladies very kind and willing to send several samples of different fabrics home with me to test before I settled on what's worked so well form me ever since.

https://www.joann.com/utility-fabric-mattress-ticking-red-wide/11160280.html

That's a pretty thin combo.

OP Jo Anns also has good blue strip ticking which is what I use. It's got about .015 of a thickness on to it. Works real good and even with a .495s should make for a snug but easily loadable load with a moist lube or spit and should give a nice cleaning action with each shot.

How thin do you want? You might try Lynen. Even thin it is still very strong. You might try some flannel. It compresses allot and not as tight. Not the best but still works good with light loads.

There are some very thin but strong materials out there. Just go to JoAnnes, Hobby Lobby or Walmart and see what they have. Of course, get pure cotton only. I used to use airplane cloth but believe it is no longer available.

I have been to Jo Anns just today. They used to have a very thin pillow ticking. Sadly now it's all the regular stuff.I already have that. I do thank you all for the replies. I didn't think to check out the pocket drill. Next time soon. Did you guys know that CVA made a squirrel rifle in 36? I just found one. A uncompleted kit that needs a lot of help.
n.h.schmidt

Modern pillow ticking is for the most part just cotton cloth with the pillow ticking print. Try looking at some of their other cotton fabrics. I did know they made a 36 but I don't think they made many. Good find.

Drill cloth from JoAnn's is in the utility cloth section. It usually measures 0.017 to 0.018.

Linen needs to be made from 100% flax. Can be hard to find especially in a tight weave.

I have, and still use, both pillow ticking (.015") and mattress ticking (.017"). The thicker stuff I bought in blue AND brown stripe; the red stripe was too thin with very loose weave and worthless.

Probably picked up muslin. Every piece of drill cloth that was marked drill cloth on the bolt measured 0.017 to 0.018 using both my micrometer and my Vernier calipers. The compression can vary a bit from lot to lot. By really abusing a micrometer you can compress 0.018 drill cloth to 0.010. Note that in most cases you have about 0.010 of windage where the ball is 0.010" less in diameter than the land to land diameter of the barrel. Somehow that cloth as get scrunched down to 0.005" to load the ball. Yes, there is engraving on the ball to engage the rifling so that accounts for some of compressed cloth patch.

I walk into fabric shop's armed with a BIC lighter and a micrometer and ask them if they would cut me a square if ticking 1x1 inch ? and say that I would pay for it . of course they allways say no, not a problem. I mic it and light a corner of the swatch an make shure it is indeed cotton.

Thanks for the thread! Uh-oh, a thread on threads in patching.... My patch and ball combo has been way too tight on my .32, and I've also not found any appropriate thickness patching. Appreciate it!

I bought several yards of this pillow ticking from Amazon. It's 100% cotton. It mics at 0.015 (heavily compressed). Works beautifully with Water/Moose Milk dry patch on my .50 cal Sharon Rifle Barrel Co. Trade Rifle and my .50 cal Shenandoah Flintlock with a 490 RB.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014L7YD3M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
1601997108684.png

eastern maine shooting supplies..good prices on precut lubed or unlubed..nice small company good people.They sell direct.Have anything that you want for muzzleloading and all types of cleaning products.

Back