• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pillow ticking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Heap

40 Cal.
Reaction score
pillow ticking? I asked my wife and she hasn't a clue what it is. I heard I could get it from Wal Mart, but, what is is and how do I recognize it on a shelf? I've been using pre lubed patches but want to get some pillow ticking and try it. This way I won't run short.

Pillow ticking is a heavy cotton tight weave fabric, usually with red and white or blue and white stripes.
The stripes are about 1/4 inch or a little less wide.

It got its name back in the days when feathers were used to stuff pillows. The tight weave and the thickness of it kept the quills on the feathers from poking thru it and jabbing the user in the face.

Typically, it measures about 17 to 20 thousandths of an inch thick. That's just a bit more than 1/64th of an inch.

When used with a commonly sized roundball, the combination makes for a very tight fit in the barrel so most people find they need to use a "short starter" (a ball with one or two very short dowels sticking out of it) to get the load started into the barrel.

Once the patched ball is started, it can be rammed the rest of the way down to the powder load with just moderate pressure on the ramrod. (Take short 8-12" strokes or you will break the ramrod).

"It got its name back in the days when feathers were used to stuff pillows."

My pillows still contain feathers (down). I can't stand a foam pillow. They're hot when you try to sleep on them whereas the feather pillows are cool, fluffy and can be molded into the shape you want. You have to get them at high-end stores or online now.

It wouldn't hurt to bring a micrometer to the store where you buy the material. Ticking is a bit too thick for my smaller-bore guns, which take .015 and .010 patches.

There's nothing magic about ticking. It's good, closely-woven stuff and if it'll work for you, great. I use 300 pt percale for my small bore rifles which is about right for the balls I use. It measures out at .095. At least my supply does; it's from a pillow case.

Gene L said:
It wouldn't hurt to bring a micrometer to the store where you buy the material. Ticking is a bit too thick for my smaller-bore guns, which take .015 and .010 patches.

There's nothing magic about ticking. It's good, closely-woven stuff and if it'll work for you, great. I use 300 pt percale for my small bore rifles which is about right for the balls I use. It measures out at .095. At least my supply does; it's from a pillow case.
Are you sure you mean .095 ? that's about 3/32" and seems a bit thick for a percale bed sheet.
.015 is 1/64 of an inch and you said that was to much. :hmm:

thanks guys, after the crowds leave I'll go down and see if I can find what I need. I'll take some pre lubed patches to use for thickness as I don't own a micrometer.

I've never used a mic... Nothing wrong with doing so either. I always purchase ticking from wally world, actually think I bought a whole bolt! Anywho, I've had great consistent results with my lot of ticking. I've learned to let my eyes and fingers be the micrometer. Good idea though to bring a few patches until you learn. :thumbsup:

It doesn't have to be pillow ticking. Pillow ticking is sort of tradition but a good strong tight weave natural cotton material of the proper thickness will work. I have used old cotton dress shirts or military BDU (cotton)that were in good shape for patches.

Joann's Fabric always has several weights of Pillow Ticking in their Utility Fabrics area. Just look for 100% cotton and a tight weave. You do NOT want to use any of the plastic fabrics, they will melt and deposit goo in your barrel.

You should pic up at least a caliper for better reference than feel of patch thickness.
These can be had quite reasonably from many catalogs or even gun shows.
I have found nothing better than good shirt felt. It is tighter weaved than pillow ticking and at least as strong.
I save all my worn out Field and Stream felt work shirts I buy at Costco.
The fabric has remained very uniform in thickness at about .018 depending on how much pressure one uses with the mic to measure thickness.

You should pic up at least a caliper for better reference than feel of patch thickness.

Agreed! ...and it has so many other useful applications.
Doing gun stuff without a calipers is like trying to do carpentry without a tape measure.

Mooman76 said:
It doesn't have to be pillow ticking. Pillow ticking is sort of tradition but a good strong tight weave natural cotton material of the proper thickness will work. I have used old cotton dress shirts or military BDU (cotton)that were in good shape for patches.

No certainly doesn't have to be ticking, I also use linen, muslin, osanburg cotton, cotton pillow cases... lol it goes on and on! That's half the fun though, finding what fits your fancy and the rifle. However, I usually stick with ticking material because for me I've found it provides the best all around consistency.

Back