• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pillow ticking possibles bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I recently purchased a few yards of heavy tan pillow ticking with the intention of making a possible bag from it and also a few rabbit pelts form last years hunts. I'm curious to see if anyone has any pictures of similar bags they have created? Wanting to see some of the ideas you guys have came up with! :hatsoff:

While not really pillow ticking, I made this bag from a canvas material. The corners are reinforced with buckskin and the front flap is canvas covered with buckskin.

Without the buckskin reinforcements the canvas was a bit light for my purposes. I didn't want a "sack" but a bag with some rigidity. So this bag is 100% canvas but given strength by the addition of deer hide.

I can't post photos but I took white canvas and dyed it in strong tea until it was a fawn leather shade. One long piece divided into thirds. Folded one end over and sewed the sides and then the remaining top third is the flap. The flap is as long as the compartment and just hangs in place without a button. Sewed "Inside out but I added an edge binding in the flap area to keep it from unraveling. (A long 1" wide strip folded over and tucked under and sewn along the flap edge.)
Upholstery webbing doubled over served for a strap- no buckle. Whole bag costs a dollar or two to make.

I have a lot of bags but to be honest, the canvas is light, conforms to the body, the powder horn silently rests against it- pretty darn good hunting pouch.

I'm planning on using a few rabbit pelts as well. I've been considering several different designs and methods and I gotta say it's rather exciting to create your own tailored to your needs just like your rifle build!

I was in your boat, however when I went to buy ticking for patch material I came across a tan striped bundle at my local wally world that was very heavy duty. Bought a few yards and after browsing through SligoBill's work I myself am very eager to construct my own. Easy on the hands when it comes to sewing it all together to!

crockett said:
I have a lot of bags but to be honest, the canvas is light, conforms to the body, the powder horn silently rests against it- pretty darn good hunting pouch.

I agree. I also have several leather shot bags. But more often than not lately I've been using one of my simple square shaped canvas bags when I head for the woods. Mine are about 10" square and sewed up from one piece pretty much like Crockett describes. The straps are 3 layers of the same material "accordion" folded, pressed and stitched together along the lengthwise edges. I did put buttons on the flaps but have found that they stay closed just fine on there own and most of the time don't bother closing them back up once I've been inside the first time.
I made two bags like this and use them for lots of stuff. I even use them to carry my shells and game calls when I'm small game hunting with a modern shotgun.

You said possibles bag, so your making a cloth market wallet of a size large enough to sit across the back of a horse or mule? That is what possibles bag or sack is.

While the wax impregnated, leather/cloth combination bags are quite popular in some circles, especially when you combine an asymmetrical flap and embroidery on them, ive yet to see anything like that from the historic period, or read of such an animal described in any period account.

This is my cloth shot pouch, inspired by one version of Miller's "Trappers Bride"

That's on my "to do" list. As I said I bought plain white canvas and tea stained it tan/fawn but the Miller painting- that would be more pc. If you want to save $$$ keep a look out at a local thrift/goodwill shop for an all leather belt. You can often buy one for $.50 and they work pretty well for a strap. The canvas bag in the Miller paint- looks like the strap was leather.
I didn't treat my canvas bag but I don't use it much in the rain. I suppose some type of paraffin or beeswax treatment would water proof it a little more.
I'm glad others have also said they like canvas bags. I have always been a little hesitant on pushing them because the leather was more common but as I said, personally- I like them a lot. My first bag was canvas and I used it a while. then I made a "real" bag out of thin, oak tanned leather. As I moved through the woods the powder horn would audibly slap against the bag and it just wasn't as good as the canvas. I then went to soft leather (suede-brain tan) since it is leather but is soft like the canvas.
In the Old North West (Great Lakes Area) I think some of the NDN hunters used canvas bags that were highly decorated- I might be wrong- they could have been soft leather and decorated.

That's something I was pondering. I'd assume so as the beeswax would "harden" slightly making the material more stiff. It seems tin cloth is very resilient to the elements as well!

Okay, cut out my material. Just wanting a simple square bag for day hunts. Size is 10x10, two interior pockets, one larger pocket will be sewn into three separate sections for my short starter, powder measure and wooden screwdriver. Second smaller pocket will hold my opinel 9 knife and fire kit. The large interior pocket should give me plenty of space for my various other accessories needed for a days hunt. The flap is going to be made from brain tanned rabbit pelts and the strap will be some neat material I found at hobby lobby. I'll sew the whole thing together with sinew inside out obviously. Just trying to keep it simple, I've got a few other bags made from stiff leather and I can see this one being a favorite! More pics to come.
Nmy4l5Y.jpg

Black lines are for my 1/2" fold line once I pin them in place for a neat and clean look.

I have some of what I think is that same tan ticking. If its the same fabric, it is fairly heavy and it looks good in my opinion. I have a couple suggestions, take them with a grain of salt obviously.

1. As mentioned above by another member, if you soak the ticking in tea overnight, you will take some of the brightness out of the new fabric without really "aging" it per se. It does vary with the tea you use.
2. Although the ticking is tightly woven, relatively stiff fabric, consider lining the inside with another fabric to make it that much sturdier and stronger. Even if you plan on coating the exterior with something.
3.Consider making the interior pockets from leather, not ticking, so they will hold up better over time, even in the short term. Its amazing what one hunting season will do to a pouch in terms of wear.
4. Consider ditching the artificial sinew in favor of linen thread. It's just better stuff.
5. If you are going to make the flap from hair-on rabbit hide, consider lining the leather side with either more ticking or leather. Rabbit skin is very thin, you want a flap with a little more weight. If the flap is short a button is a good idea too I think.

Good luck, please post your pictures when finished.

I agree, for a cloth pouch I would think linen thread is more pc. Joann's used to sell a roll of 100% linen thread (white) for around $1.00. Cotton thread is also pc although linen would be more common. The sinew, I usually associate that more with leather and NDN made items.
On the edges, fold them under so they don't unravel or use a blanket stitch along the edge.

Latest posts

Back