• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta shotgun proof marks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Morrison

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,
I recently bought a 12 gauge Navy Arms Pietta double barrel shotgun. It did not have a manual, and so far my contact with Navy Arms has not produced any information.

Along with the PN, Italian black powder proof mark, KG 1.870 is stamped on one barrel. Am I correct to assume that means 1,870 kg of pressure? In other words 4122 psi?

I have a copy of the Lyman BP book, if I use a load that is listed at below 4000 psi should I be safe? The gun apprears to be in very good condition.

Thanks for your help. Shoot safely.

I am not familiar with those Italian proof marks, or the metric system. However, the load you refer to will be safe in that gun.

I don't recognize those markings and some internet searches turned up nothing useful. "KG" seems odd for pressure marking because kilograms are units of mass and not of force in any major metric system, although often used improperly as such, and if it is used in pressure designation, one has to specify the area (square meters or square centimeters). Italy subscribes to CIP standards, and CIP proof uses pressures in Bar (approx. atmospheres, or 14.5psi), with 12ga BP standard of 750 bar or 10,877psi. You might try posting your question on one of the shotgun boards, like Shooting Sportsmen or Double Gun.

Joel

Joel,
Thanks for your help. I see your point about about the use of KG.
I hope Navy Arms can provide some information.

I just checked my e-mail and Navy Arms has a manual which they will be mailing to me.
As always thanks and shoot safely.

Back