• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta repro

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlimoges

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have Pietta repro navy on the way by Thursday. The cylinder has engraveing by Ormby N.Y. Is that part of a repro any way? Or am going to get an extra surprise ? Also I am in a little argument about Iowa law, as to wether I need a background check before I can buy a black powder gun .I know I do not but the seller still thinks I do.

Iowa

Iowa[112] is a "may issue" state for concealed carry. A Permit to Carry Weapons may be issued or denied to qualified residents at the discretion of the county sheriff, or to non-residents at the discretion of the Commissioner of the Iowa Department of Public Safety. Applicants must successfully complete an approved training course and demonstrate proficiency with a handgun. Iowa does not recognize concealed carry permits issued by other states.[113][114][115]

On April 29, 2010 Iowa governor Chet Culver Signed SF 2379, Therefore Effective January 1, 2011 Iowa will become a "Shall issue" state for concealed carry [116]

A Permit to Acquire Pistols or Revolvers is required when purchasing a handgun from a dealer or private party, and is obtained from the county sheriff. A Permit to Acquire shall be issued to qualified applicants aged 21 or older. It becomes valid three days after the date of application, and is valid for one year.{ A permit is not required when purchasing an antique handgun, which is defined as a matchlock, flintlock, or percussion cap pistol manufactured before 1898, or a replica of such a pistol.}[117]

Iowa has enacted state preemption of firearms laws, so local units of government may not restrict the ownership, possession, or transfer of firearms, or require their registration.[118]

Under Iowa law, private citizens may not possess automatic firearms, short-barreled rifles, or short-barreled shotguns.[112]
[edit] Kansas

3rd paragraph in Red

Ormby is the name of the engraver on the originals. AS far as transferromg black powder arms goes...each state has its own laws. When buying black powder arms thru online auctions you may have complications when dealing with a seller from a RESTRICTED state.......Been there done that..it's a Hassel to say the least,...goodluck!

Scalper's right about a restricted State, Like New Jersey, They consider a Black Powder gun as same as a modern gun It has to transfer through a dealer.
I live in North Carolina, so I can buy a black powder gun and have it shipped direct to me, but not a crossbow,Don't figure.
But It is up to the seller. But Iowa you don't have to go through a dealer or have a permit to buy a reproduction Black-powder gun according to their law.
The internet is a wonderful tool if you need information. :v

The cylinder engraving done and marked W.L. Ormsby was used by Colt on various cap and ball revolvers to discourage patent infringement and counterfeiting.

In addition to what scalper and Sharps1863 wrote, note that a big outfit like Cabelas does not restrict black powder revolver shipments to Iowa. Showing your seller what Cablas does may help convince them.

Thanks everyone. As soon as i get the gun in my hands,then I will talk to the auctioneer about returning my $25.even at $80 I am still out ahead.It was the way the whole deal was handeled,

Latest posts

Back