• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta '58 Remington

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwilfong

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been on a Colt replica kick lately but a local gunshop had a NIB Cabela's(Pietta) Remmie at a price I couldn't refuse, even though I've been trying(unsuccessfully) to curb my buying.
I like it! Got home with it last evening. Stripped & polished the internals & stoned most of the creep out of the hammer notch. This afternoon I slugged the barrel groove dia. @ .450" & pinguaged the chambers @ .447". I have a .453" reamer I bought for my last Remmie (barrel slugged .452"), so reamed the chambers with that, & did a light chamfer on the chamber mouths.
Shot two cylinders @ 20 yards & got a decent group, slightly BELOW & a bit left of point of aim. I'm really happy it shoots a bit low as I can fix that without replacing the front sight. :grin: Is that trpical of Italian Remmies?
I had a victim in mind for this one but it might be a keeper :hmm:

Based on my two Remingtons I would say no, it is not typical of them. Mine all shoot high.

The under groove size of the chambers is typical of almost all of the Italian reproduction pistols, both Colt and Remington, except for one Remington called a "Target" model.

Are the undersize chambers an Italian thing? Or were the origonals that way? Seems like we've discussed this before but I'm not sure where it ended. My ROA is closer to what I consider "right"; the chamber dia. is just slightly over groove dia.
Sounds like I'm lucky to get one that shoots slightly low. I understand why the Colts shoot high & guessed the Remmies would be that way too. My 1st one was the adjustable sight model.

Mine shoots high at 25 yards. I can't recall how it zeros at 50; it's been a awhile and I don't have any range notes on that gun.
Sounds like you lucked out! :thumbsup:

Yeah; I REALLY needed another C&B wheelgun :thumbsup:
But, they sure are great entertainment for the $
Boss came out while I was shooting the Remmie after work. Handed it to him with a couple rounds left & tossed a pop can out for him. Put a big grin on his face :grin:

Back