• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pierced tin lantern

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisoc

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck seeing where they were going with a pierced tin lantern? I took one down to the basement at night and spent 30 minutes letting my eyes adjust. Couldn't see a darned thing. (yes the candle was lit)

I think they are more like a beacon to help you find your came than anything else :idunno: Have never had one myself.
Have Fun
Phil

Close the door only for carrying it, so the candle doesn't blow out. Once you get to where you're going, open the door---or better yet, take the candle out.

Rod

I find that holding it on a 4' stick held ahead and above me it helps.

Rod L has your answer. Best to think of the pierced tin lanterns as a lit candle carrying device rather than as a lighting device. Much cheaper & more rugged than a lantern with glass, useful to carry a lit candle thru wind & rain to have light once you get where you are going rather than to light your way. After a few hundred trips from house to barn, you doubtless know every rock & root on the path even on a very dark night.

I find it works okay (with the door open, of course) when I have it on a table and just need a little light in front of me.

My kids like it as a night light hanging from the ridge pole in the tent. (When they're asleep, I outten it.)

I find it works okay (with the door open, of course) when I have it on a table and just need a little light in front of me.

My kids like it as a night light hanging from the ridge pole in the tent. (When they're asleep, I outten it.)

We use ours for a "night" light hanging from the ridge pole in the marquee and for a small space heater while sitting in a chair with it under a blanket. That's about it's only usefulness I could find.

We have 3 of them....a small one I got for canoe trekking, a copper one and a tin one at full size. Don't really use them except as decoration or as someone said, night light. Best to use them with the door open, or as we have done, use an oil lamp adapter that fits over the candle holder part. I think we got that from Larry Shaw at the Alafia rendezvous several years back.

Latest posts

Back