• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

piedersoli 2nd mod bess kit from dixie gun works

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parzifal

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi guys..
what do you all think of the piedersoli bess kit from dixie?
I was paroosing their site and they are on sale for a DAMN appealing price! I was thinking of getting it for myself as a b-day gift...

What do you all think of this musket???

How does it compare to my loyalist 1 st model "aside from the species of wood the stock is made from"

Have any of you gents ever assembeled this kit, whats the quality like ? Does the lock come timed? the frizzen hardened? Is the stock truly 1 piece? the pict of the kit on their site makes it look like a 3 piece stock.What kind of power loads have you guys used in this musket?
Is it safe for dual ball or buck and ball?

I have made all my indian muskets into graceful dames, That european walnut stock on the piedersoli is really pulling at me!

I eagerly await your replys

Rob

"what do you all think of the piedersoli bess kit from dixie?"

It makes up into a nice musket.

"How does it compare to my loyalist 1 st model "aside from the species of wood the stock is made from"

It doesn't have all the proper markings. Neither has the correct species of wood for the stock.

"Have any of you gents ever assembeled this kit, whats the quality like ?"

Yes,the quality is good.

"Does the lock come timed? the frizzen hardened?"

The lock is ready to go. It sparks nicely.

"Is the stock truly 1 piece?"

Yes

"What kind of power loads have you guys used in this musket?"

I have always used 90 grains of 3F.

"Is it safe for dual ball or buck and ball?"

Yes

"I have made all my indian muskets into graceful dames, That european walnut stock on the piedersoli is really pulling at me!"

I don't believe it's European walnut. At least it doesn't look amything like European walnut.

I know there was a world championship taken with a Ped Bess.
My friend shoots one very well and really likes his.He bought it already made up though.

CS

They're on Dixie Gun Works site. They are selling them for 600.00. Doesn't look like much work involved in putting one together

Don R

The Pre-built Perdesoli Brown Bess which I have is way overpriced. After shooting the gun at a re-enactment which was about 20 + shots, the frizzen stoped sparking. I had to reharden the frizzen. Then on the second outing after takng it apart to clean it, a large piece of wood chiped off while re-inserting one of the pins. The wood appeared to be like a veneer. I talked to Perdesoli about this, they seemed to think that it was normal wear and tear on a new gun.

That's not my idea of normal wear and tear on a new gun. In my opinion they are only worth $600 pre-built.

Removing the pins will ruin any gun stock. Pins should never be removed. The frizzens on all the Pedroseli Muskets I've ever owned sparked for years with no problem.

Thanks , With the arrival of this one I will have a example of each bess, long land, short land, and 3rd mod carbine. Its about time to build a 2nd gun safe.

Rob

If you know enough about what Brown Bess muskets are supposed to look like, and remove the excess wood accordingly you will have a real nice great shooting musket. Good luck, and good shooting.

Build a safe? I'm intrigued. Care to provide any details? New thread maybe? The long guns don't fit in a Homak cabinet.

bessbattlesystem said:
Thanks , With the arrival of this one I will have a example of each bess, long land, short land, and 3rd mod carbine. Its about time to build a 2nd gun safe.Rob

Then all you'll need is a Sea Service and a Marine & Militia model! :rotf:

My "safe" is something loosely based on a arms box I seen on the sharpe series..Big tough wood solid iorn hinges, about 7.5 ft tallmaybe 2 foot wide and deep. Yeah maybe a new thread is in order..

Rob

And about the other models of bess... I think I am going to try to wrangle up some french muskets next..
It just never ends.."still cheeper then the pubs and clubs!"

so if pins should never be removed, perhaps you could explain how to carry out any repair work on the barrel that requires heat or accurate clamping for drilling/machining?

I think Mark meant that you don't remove the pins in normal use. It is O.K. to carefully remove them for required repair work.

Just as a add to the post
the bess came today but I could not claim it as yet....the bloody shipping costing me 120$$.... :shocked2:

Wednesday is pay day..

But really 120 $$??!! thats a bit much!

Rob

Never??? Over time water WILL get into the barrel channel and you need to remove the barrel to clean it and re-lube the channel. If done with care, and replacing the pins exactly the way they came out, it's no problem, and should be an annual clean up thing. A pin punch a bit smaller in diameter than the pins should be used.

Hand rub in a finish like Tru-oil. Rosewood has oils in it that work to the surface all the time. You need to leave the gun out in a rack, rather than in a gun case, so that the oils evaporate, before they form wet spots on the finish. Use Denatured alcohol to thin any oil finish you use, and to wipe the stock before applying the finish to it. Otherwise, it may never dry! Boiled Linseed Oil will also work, as will tung oil, provided you wipe off the natural oils with alcohol before putting the finish on. Since oil finishes don't seal the wood, Use a good furniture wax to seal the stock from moisture and rain if you are going to be out with the gun overnight.

I have had fantastic results with minwax "special walnut" rub it in let er dry a few days , then rub down stock with rubbing alcohol let dry repeat until preferred tone is acheived, then I mix about 50/50 mineral spirits and raw linseed oil , and rub that in , then every few months give it all another rubdown with the linseed /mineral spirit mix..

And as far as the barell channel goes, I smear mine with high pressure grease before reassembly, sure not period correct, but it shure does the job.

Rob

Latest posts

Back