• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

piedersoli 2nd mod bess kit from dixie gun works

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They might tell you they are european walnut and rosewood but they look like neither. They look exactly like some sort of tropical hardwood.

I've been working with wood for over 35 years.

Removing stock pins is a sure way to break a stock in half or take a big splinter out of the stock. I've seen it done many times. I'd rather just live with the rust.

Mr. bessbattlesystem,
By perchance did you ship via UPS?
UPS really sticks it to us folks in Alaska. Don't know if it would help (your residing in Canada an all) but we always request shipping via USPS. Major savings for us, when dealing with DGW and others.
Best Wishes

The pins neededn't be removed unless you are refinishing the gun. I've just seen so many ruined longrifles and muskets, I hate to see others newbees make this mistake.

I understand what your saying but done properly its not a job to be scared of. Depending on what you use the gun for and how much water has got under the barrel since the last time it was overhauled, a check on rust once a year is IMO a reasonable thing to do. Having got the barrel out a gentle flame on the area covered by the stock followed by rubbing a stick of bees wax will help keep rust at bay.

Howdy!

Rookie question. On a Bess, other than the tang screw, what else needs to be removed to free the barrell from the stock?

Thanks!

James

Just the barrel pins. If you have a look at the fore stock under the barrel you will see some steel pins. Some will be holding the ram rod ferrules, the others - probably 4 will be holding the barrel. If its a Pedersoli they should drift out from right to left. Make sure you have the proper size pin punch ie same size as the pin. Have another pair of hands to hold the gun and ensure the barrel area that you are knocking the pin out from is supported with two pieces of wood close to and either side of each pin. Number the pins as you take them out so that the same pin goes back in the same hole. Put them back in with a smear of good grease. When you put them back in use a punch bigger than the pin so that you dont hit the wood with the hammer face. Hope this helps.

In addition to justmike's answer, don't forget to remove the front sling swivel; the pivot screw that goes through the stock also goes through a drilled lug on the underside of the barrel. Take your time and good luck. It's not rocket science.

Mr Wind walker Dixie does not offer u.p.s to non citicens of the union..alas..

I have the bess and after inspection here are my observations both good and bad...

Negative
1./Those damn barell markings right in plain view
"hate that"
2./extra 1st model rounded side plate I ordered doesnt fit "flat plate is very plain"
3./lock springs feel very weak compared to my 1st long land "I prefer them very stout"
4. swing swivels are puny "I have a set of thicker more correct to my eye ones that will be replaceing them "
5. the swell could be more pronounced

Positive

1./Absolutly beautiful walnut stock"albeit rough kit form"
2./1/3 the weight of my 1st mod long land
3./fine machining in the barell "machined with a nice sharp blade'
4./was proof safety tested in factory "I wonder how many grains and what lead load??"
5./nice fit of all lock parts and smooth action

All in all The pros are far more pronounced then the cons, and as far as ugly barell markings A little emory cloth and time I figure should remedy.

Rob

Actually I believe they are sent to the Italian government proof house in Gardone. Probably a similar load to the belgian proof standard listed in the back of the dixie catalogue (gross overload of black powder with a tight single ball)

Back